Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Morning glory glorious

I have some morning glories growing up the left side of the threshold to the front door. They have climbed pretty quickly op the wrought iron trellis -like shelves I have hung there, and meandered across the top of the door. Actually, I had no idea that they would grow so fast and so lushly, and the top of the screen door now shuts on some of the hanging blossoms that have overgrown the space between the top of the door and the roofline. I need to cut them back a little.

They are gorgeous flowers. I see them every day whenever I go in or out...they're variegated lavender and white. I love how the sun shines on them in the early morning, and the petals are so delicate I can almost see straight through them.

The other day I was leaving for work and I noticed a movement on one of the lower flowers. I paused to see what had caught my attention, and there was a wasp that had crawled straight into the deepest part of the flower tube. It was then I noticed that this morning glory itself was blue. Blue.

How is it that one can look and look and look at something every day and still miss what is right in front of our face? The pop of blue and the gorgeous surprise of a different colored morning glory from all the rest did several things for me. First, I mused on the difference between looking and seeing. "And Jesus said, For judgment I came into this world, so that those who do not see may see, and that those who see may become blind." John 9:39

Also, I mused on God's creation, and how it continues to surprise me with its variety and its hidden secrets and its plain sight surprises that tickle the aesthetic and spiritual depths.

"Isaiah 42:5 This is what God the LORD says--he who created the heavens and
stretched them out, who spread out the earth and all that comes out of it,
who gives breath to its people, and life to those who walk on it:"

"JER 27:5 With my great power and outstretched arm I made the earth and its
people and the animals that are on it, and I give it to anyone I please."

Last, I took a fresh look at the vine, and saw anew that they grow fast! I need to re-direct them or soon I will not be able to close my door!

No comments: