Monday, June 18, 2012

Beach going, virtual-style

Oh, beach, how I miss you! Yes, there are beaches here in Georgia, and nearby South Carolina. But they are not the same. They are over-developed, far away, sandy, and crowded.


Even the nooks at places like Tybee Island are gentrified.


I like the rough and tumble foggy beaches of the slate gray north Atlantic. There are high tides and lobster boats and lighthouse and foghorns. I love the south, but I miss the Downeast beaches.

Jasper Beach Maine
Below, Lubec Beach. At high tide the water comes all the way up to the foreground. Really. And it comes up fast, too.

See the high tide at Cutler, Maine? Notice the boat on the flats to the left? And the tall ladders? And the tide-line of dark, wet wood and dry wood above it?




LOL, if I may be forgiven, I think the beaches at Georgia are girly beaches. I miss the muscular, rough, foggy dangerous beaches at Maine's far reaches Downeast.

No comments: