Sunday, June 23, 2013

Nik Wallenda

Nik Wallenda is the 7th generation of a high wire walking family. On July 18, 1970, 65-year-old family patriarch Karl Wallenda performed a high-wire walk, also known as a skywalk, across the Tallulah Gorge, a gorge formed by the Tallulah River in Georgia. An estimated 30,000 people watched Wallenda perform two headstands as he crossed the quarter-mile-wide gap, says Wikipedia. This photo is the original brochure, still posted at the gorge. I snapped it when I visited there.

His great-grandson Nik tonight crossed the Little Colorado River Gorge in Navajo territory outside Grand Canyon National Park's borders about 40 miles east of the main tourist facilities. 1400 feet across...amazing. I don't know the point, but it's an amazing athletic and mental feat.

2 comments:

Melissa S. said...

You might like a movie called, "Man on Wire." My husband fell asleep watching it but I liked it. :) Melissa S.

Elizabeth Prata said...

Thank you Melissa! I'll check it out on internet movie database :)