Thursday, September 06, 2012

Cannonball the ant hill

Last week was a long week. We were all looking forward to the long, Labor Day holiday weekend. It had been hot, the air conditioner at school had been malfunctioning, and the kids were tired.

There was this one boy on Friday…he had a hard time in reading group. He was asked to re-do his handwriting paper because it did not meet the teacher’s standard. He got very hot and sweaty at recess, got bumped into and cut in front of at the water fountain line, and generally was tired.

We have a long walk from class to the place where the kids are picked up at the end of the day. The boy sang the whole time. Sing, sing. Sing and a little jog in his walk.

Now, if I had been bumped in line at Wal-Mart, cut in front of, had a long, hot, and sweaty week, which ended with my boss telling me to do my report over again because it didn’t meet standards, I know I would not be singing. I would be grumbling or murmuring, most likely. But the boy was singing.

What a good attitude. I'll try to do better with mine.

Overheard on the playground today:

Two boys looking at a new fire ant mound. One whacks the other on his elbow, says, "Hey! Let's cannon ball on the ant hill!"

No comments: