Friday, May 25, 2012

Summer schedule

Since school ended, I've been noticing how hard it is to go full blast and then come to a full stop. I've been re-training myself on the how-to of living a slower life. LOL, I have been failing, because I've been getting up earlier each day. Today I awoke at 4:00am, made myself stay in bed until 5:30 and then I got up.

The cool of the day is a pleasant time, though, I enjoy a cup of coffee that I'm not gulping, and I can actually sit down and enjoy a perfectly ambient room. Best of all is listening to the birds.

Normally in the school year I spend 8 hours out and at work, plus another hour for errands and necessities, plus 3 to 4 hours studying and writing my other blog. Saturdays it takes me about 10-12 hours to write and edit the Prophecy Newsletter I send, and Sundays are for worship. That leaves little time, if any, for personal relaxation. So during the school year I pretty much forget about personal relaxation, unless it is during Christmas or Spring break.

By the time summer rolls around I have to actively remember how to live slowly and meditatively. It doesn't take me long to remember, but it does take a bit longer to get used to it. That's OK.

When I awake I make the coffee and drink it while scanning the overnight news and blogs. Then I listen to a sermon. Right now I'm going through Ezra with Pastor Damian Kyle. Then I read the bible passage again that I just heard a sermon on. Or I read it first and then listen. After that, prayers, and then writing.

In the mix is making breakfast. I enjoy a late and large breakfast around 10 and a light lunch around 2 or 3. By 11:30 to noon or so I'm tired of sitting so I do my errands. Once per week I go to town and get groceries and a new load of books from the local library. Otherwise, errands means I run to the local post office a mile away, or I just walk around the yard and pick wildflowers and check the birdhouses.

On today's walk I was not only rewarded with some pretty flowers, but the first figs! I spotted some ready-ripe ones in the higher branches. But they were not too high for meeee! I have Gumby arms when it comes to plucking out-of-reach figs. Where there's a will, there is a way, and I have the will.

I mentioned a while back about seeing a sweet idea for potting small succulents. It took a while but I finally finished the project. I had found beautiful espresso cups at a yard sale and a few days ago a friend gave me some aloe cuttings. Here is the result. I actually have four:


Here is the scene, flowers, succulents, etc:

 Windowsill in kitchen:

The summer schedule suits me. Though I miss my little guys at school a wicked lot. Or as they say down here, a big ole bunch.

No comments: