Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I'm clock watching today

It’s a pretty slow day. Half days always are. The kids left at noon and it is teacher conference time. Not being a teacher, I don’t have as much to do, except laminate stuff and cut out decorations for the next bulletin board, etc. My busy time is when the kids are in school. When they’re not here, I’m left with a slow moving clock and a long half-day.

When I used to be a teacher I loved it. I took hours to write plans. I decorated the room, I read up academic journal articles on the latest trends. It was all good.

Now I’m old. All I want to have is peace and quiet and no pressure. So I leave all that hustle and bustle to the new teachers coming up, and I work with kids and then I go home. I don’t take a bag of papers home with me to correct, I don’t have to write notes to parents, I don’t have to make phone calls. I don’t have to follow up on anything. When the day is done, it’s done.

The occasional day that drags is just fine by me. I’m definitely not complaining. Now, is it 3 o’clock yet?

No comments: