Thursday, April 10, 2008

An example of a day, just one day among many

So my day...The sun rises a bit later here than in Maine. I am still not used to that, but I am getting used to laying in bed until 6:30 or 7 am and listening to the thousands of birds awaken. The property here has a large buffer of trees which attract many birds. Chickadees, finches, cardinals, geese, hereon, many others I do not know fly around over the pastures and those that sing, sing. Below, birds on my deck singing me awake.

I shuffle to the bathroom, tripping over three cats, all of whom have a vested interest in the this first step of the day. Abby, the oldest, likes to have a morning drink from the lightly dripping faucet at the bathroom sink. I turn it on for her. Bert likes to sit atop the toilet back and watch everything that happens with those big googly eyes of his. I would love to know what he thinks about, for he is surely watching everything intently. Luke hops into the shower, usually dragging a string and plays with it in there, causing a rumpus.

The all-important computer is flicked on, and the all-important coffee pot is started. It's a tie between which I need more, computer connection or coffee. They are one and the same, as important as air!

I have a daily routine which lasts about an hour. It starts with a prayer, and then a daily devotion from Charles Haddon Spurgeon, the best preacher ever. He preached throughout most of the 1800s and made a lasting impression. Ocatavius Winslow is another great, and I switch back and forth over the months between Spurgeon and Winslow. The educated men of the 1800s and late 1700s wrote so much better than we do today. Whether founding fathers' letters or great preachers, the orators and writers of the 18th and 19th century have it all over us. Left, Abby drinking.

Then I go down my list of bookmarks, checking the Drudge Report, Portland Press Herald, USGS Earthquakes, Rapture Ready, Current Newspapers, and now that my friend is editing the Gray-New Gloucester Independent, I read that weekly too. Finally! that newspaper is good again!

Around 10 am I start the work for the day, whether it be website development, writing, or church-related stuff. Yesterday I got a call from a client and I could not figure it out over the phone so I hopped in the car and drove over there. But emergencies are rare and usually I get to stay home.

Today the work is to prepare for Sunday's workshop with all the Sunday School leaders. I had been voted Sunday School Director of my church and subsequently I attended a workshop about Evangelism Through the Sunday School. The man presenting (Tim Smith) it made a good point, every team needs a practice. Every choir needs a practice. As far as I knew our Sunday School Program has not had an all-leader meeting for many years. Are we uniting under a stated common goal? I do not know, so I thought it was important that we get everyone together to make sure we were on the same page in terms of direction, and the pastor agreed. Today and tomorrow, I am trying to distill the material I learned in the seminar (over 4 hours' worth) and boil it down to 30 minutes, in conjunction with 30 minutes of the first segment of the video I had purchased of the seminar which I plan to show. Nobody likes long meetings. Especially on Sunday. Left, Bert googly eyes.

Later I will make kale and red lentil soup, and read some in my book, Lee Strobel's "Case for Christ." Amazon summary- "The Case for Christ records Lee Strobel's attempt to "determine if there's credible evidence that Jesus of Nazareth really is the Son of God." The book consists primarily of interviews between Strobel (a former legal editor at the Chicago Tribune) and biblical scholars. Each interview is based on a simple question, concerning historical evidence (for example, "Can the Biographies of Jesus Be Trusted?"), scientific evidence, ("Does Archaeology Confirm or Contradict Jesus' Biographies?"), and "psychiatric evidence" ("Was Jesus Crazy When He Claimed to Be the Son of God?"). Together, these interviews compose a case brief defending Jesus' divinity, and urging readers to reach a verdict of their own." If you believe that "reason and logic" are anathema to "God" then I urge you to try this book. Left, Luke and his string.

This evening, I will continue making some collages, and as they are all finished (it's a set) I will scan and post them.

So that is a day in the life...Have a good one everybody!

1 comment:

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

I read Lee Strobel's "The Case for Faith"--loved it and passed it along to my daughter who was entering college last fall.

We have a cat who likes to drink from the "sink fountain" too. Even if he's really not supposed to be in the house, he makes it a habit anyway.
Have a great day~