Saturday, May 16, 2020

Sunshine, Daily Murray, Mail, and other thoughts

By Elizabeth Prata

Good morning! It's late May and we are coming into the home stretch of school. The Governor suspended at-school learning in Mid-March due to Coronavirus but that doesn't mean we haven't been working. In fact, a few days ago we staff were told to return from working at home to the actual school building for 4 hours a day in staggered shifts (social distancing). We will do the same next week.

This Tuesday at noon would have been the last day with kids, and it is sad we won't be able to hug them goodbye. Then we staff finish out the week in what would have been post-planning, and I guess it still will be. It's hard to now how to plan, since things are very much up in the air regarding next year, but we can still finish report cards, clean, sort kids into grade levels for next year, and do other paperwork.

Meanwhile, it is a gorgeous Saturday morning. I've been out already, wandering the yard as the sun rose above the tips of the tall trees in the yard. The birds were absolutely bonkers with cacophonous clamor in birdsong, and it cracked me up. Walking into the driveway, the cardinal was especially offended at the sudden human presence and flew from one tree to another. But he exposed himself when he did that. I caught his glorious red against the sun-splashed leafy backdrop before he flew off.




The magnolias are blooming! Such large flowers!



Since this lockdown, social distancing, shelter in place, coronavirus time has emerged, we have learned to adapt and show our love in different ways. I have been the happy recipient of some postal outpourings outpourings. The US Postal Service is still clicking along since it was established in 1775 by Benjamin Franklin. It seemed that it was becoming redundant when the internet and electronic mail came to the fore, but no. I've received some precious cards in the mail. They bring delight and surprise and happiness when I open the mailbox and see a handwritten addressed card sized envelope in there. Here are some I've received, others I've already put away. Thank you one and all, you make my day! Especially the one given by a student, and the one signed by an actual toddler, lol! I miss seeing children so much!


Also since COVID-19, there have been some TERRIFIC book sales! Always looking to expand my library, I take advantage when they are 50% off. Also, some kind friends found my Amazon wish list and sent me surprise books! I like the series the McGraw book is in. It is a small and short book, they all are, addressing one pointed question. It's the Cultivating Biblical Godliness series from Reformation Heritage Books. Paperbacks are usually around $3. When there's a sale, well, of course I grab them. They are handy to have to give away when a fellow church member asks a question. Here is the link to the series.


The grocery store where I shop puts ready or ripe produce aside in a red net bag and marks it 99 cents. No matter what is in the bag it's 99 cents. It is always a good deal. Yesterday there were three pomegranates and 4 pepino melons. Seven pieces of fruit for 99 cents meant that each piece would cost .14 cents! Pomegranates are usually $2 or $3 per each. I was unfamiliar with pepino melons but at 14 cents apiece I would take a chance. And I love learning about a new fruit!

Apparently when ripe they are supposed to have those purplish stripes. I am hoping they won't react with my FODMAP issues, so I'll try one pepino and wait a while. They are apparently like a cross between a cuke and a tomato and less like a melon. I can eat cukes and tomatoes. They are supposed to have a gentle flavor. And I love pomegranates, but haven't had one in a while, not only due to expense but I'm unsure if I can eat them due to IBS/FODMAP etc. But even if I can't have any of the produce I've only lost 99 cents. Anything more than that is gravy. Winning!


I like Seltzer. I buy a case at a time. When I finished one the other day I tossed the box to the floor before I was ready to take it out to the trash can. Murray, being a cat, and cats love boxes, immediately became interested. He sniffed it at first-


Then he tried for the longest time to get in it. It was so funny!


Of course it didn't work out and he heard me laughing. I swear he knows I was laughing at him. He retired to the bureau and tried to look dignified-


But sneaked a longing look every now and then, deliberating if he should try again...



It's a gorgeous day, predicted to get even nicer. I hope where you are you can enjoy some family time, outside time, private time, or whatever time you need to restore your equilibrium and peace. Have a nice day!

No comments: