Friday, November 29, 2019

Outing trip report: errands accomplished

By Elizabeth Prata

After 5 days, I broke my reclusiveness and my silence by heading out this morning with certain errands to accomplish. Bank. Gas. Dollar Store for hard goods. Grocery store for fresh. Special Store for lampshade and bookends.

The grocery store was a pleasure! Few people were out shopping yet. I went early and the aisles were just devoid of the usual crush of people. The markdowns were being laid out in great quantity. I got several things I was hoping for; spinach, something gluten free (gluten free penne for $1.29!), and some picked roasted chicken. I ambled and meandered and took my time and had a relaxing foray into the land of food.

The Dollar Store was the dollar store. Aisles full of abandoned utility carts clogging the aisles, things in disarray, one clerk languidly hanging around. I got what I needed and left. Later I remembered that I was supposed to get Christmas wrapping paper etc. Sigh, I'll have to go back.

The Special Store was fun. The day is warm and sunny, so driving is a pleasure. Windows open, music on. Browsing around was comfortable, too. The owner had acquired a new estate and the furniture was a delight to view. All walnut bureau, a to-die-for huge farm table, marble topped antique doughboy...ahhh. Nevertheless, onward, I needed only two things: lampshade, bookends.

The lampshades are plentiful so it was only a matter of selecting the size and style I wanted. Uh-oh I forgot to check the style of lamp. There are lampshades called spider harp and needs a finial, lampshades called slip uno with a circle thingie that screws into the base of where the light bulb goes, and lampshades that clip to the light bulb. I don't have a finial for it and the slip uno was the one I had now and wasn't working because it didn't fit and kept flopping over and hitting the hot light bulb. Nope, fire hazard. I guess I can be sure with a clip. Eureka, I found a lampshade that goes on the lamp that way!

It's slightly short but I didn't do too bad eyeballing it and having forgotten to check the lamp for needed hardware! It's my reading lamp.


If you look closely you'll see tape on the coaster. Cats like to fling things off of things
and coasters are a special delight for Murray

I did not find any bookends. My problem was, when I bought the small bookcase and put it in the bedroom, turns out Murray likes to climb on it. He's a weird cat. He likes extra small spaces high up to perch on or even nap. Like this one in the living room:



It would not be long before Murray discerns that the bureau is only a small leap from the bookcase, and I do not want him on the bureau. I've had a pair of sneakers on top of the bookcase to prevent his perching there, but the Nikes are ruining the ambiance. I thought if I got some bookends and put a small array of books there it would do the job and be prettier. Sadly, I could not find any bookends. But the lady helped me look, which was nice. She suggested putting an artful array of books on top, stacked sideways. I'll try that.

Meanwhile, sigh, I found some books.



The Frederick Douglass one is providential, because I'd seen that on one of the Black Friday Sales online and wanted it for myself but withstood the temptation. Mainly the books I buy online are to give away, a book ministry. But this one at the vintage store was in fresh shape and only 50 cents! I added another Thomas Hardy to my classics shelf, and a Nora Roberts and Fannie Flagg to the recreational reading pile for Christmas break. Books were 50 cents.

I came away with another find. A brand new small casserole dish. It was pretty. It's a good size for making casseroles for one.


One of the reasons I don't make casseroles is that the baking dishes I have are huge and I'm stuck eating a LOT of casserole for the week. I don't mind eating a lot of the same thing but by the end of the week it's a stretch to choke down another slice of 4 day old casserole again for another meal. This one is just the right size and it was new, a key factor. I plan to make this recipe tomorrow in it:

Chicken, Cheese, and Penne Pasta Bake
https://www.thespruceeats.com/chicken-cheese-and-penne-pasta-bake-3053072

I happen to have some gluten free penne, some chicken, and some cheese! Yay! I am adding the above recipe to the list of things I'll make for Food Prep tomorrow.

Time for a nap, then I'll watch the new movie Pilgrim's Progress for the evening, and read. I hope you are all having a nice Friday afternoon on Black Friday, whatever it is you chose to do!


No comments: