Saturday, November 09, 2019

Happy Saturday in the November chill!

By Elizabeth Prata

Good morning! It's a chilly one here (finally) in north Georgia. Temperatures are below freezing, the day has dawned crisp and bright, and all is well. Fall leaves are still on the trees but are slowly dropping, while the peeking sun is illuminating them, under a blue-blue sky. Here is the scene:


dawn1

fall scene

After school on Friday, I went to The Special Store to find a gift. I found some interesting things, as always. I also needed a new utensils canister. Imagine, the plastic one I had for ten years finally broke. LOL. I also wanted to find a slightly larger pot to put my succulents into. I plan to re-arrange my front landscape ahead of fall and winter. My hosta died and I need to dig that out of the pot, and I'll also take out the leaves and detritus from my other plant. I have a few succulents I'd like to combine into one pot, while putting a new one into the new pot.

I love, love, love the snail motif. My logo for The End Time is a snail spiral, and my logo I place onto handmade bookmarks and cards is also a snail.

The logarithmic spiral is fascinating to me. Wikipedia explains this beautiful curve:
A logarithmic spiral, equiangular spiral, or growth spiral is a self-similar spiral curve which often appears in nature. The logarithmic spiral was first described by Descartes and later extensively investigated by Jacob Bernoulli, who called it Spira mirabilis, "the marvelous spiral".

[The name] was given to this curve by Jacob Bernoulli, because he was fascinated by one of its unique mathematical properties: the size of the spiral increases but its shape is unaltered with each successive curve, a property known as self-similarity. Possibly as a result of this unique property, the spira mirabilis has evolved in nature, appearing in certain growing forms such as nautilus shells and sunflower heads.
new pot

Here is the canister I found! It's a Mason's Tea Caddy!

masons.jpg

It's ironstone from an English manufacturer (Mason's) made for Carl Forslund in Grand Rapids MI. The design is Colonial Plantation, issued between 1933-1963. The items feels sturdy and silky smooth, is just the right height, and holds all my utensils. It's perfect! I liked that it relates to the teacups hanging above and the teapots on the other side of he counter.
There is no iron in ironstone; its name is derived from its notable strength and durability. Ironstone in Britain's Staffordshire potteries was closely associated with the company founded by Charles James Mason following his patent of 1813,[1][5] with the name subsequently becoming generic.[6] The strength of Mason's ironstone body enabled the company to produce ornamental objects of considerable size[7][8] including vestibule vases 1.5 metres high and mantelpieces assembled from several large sections.

Antique ironstone wares are collectable, and in particular items made by Mason's. Source
Pot: $3, canister, $4. These items fulfill a use, not a need; they are pretty; and they do not cost a lot. Winner.

In a two weeks I'll be off for a week for Thanksgiving Break, then three weeks after that I'll be off for 2 weeks for Christmas Break. I'm looking forward to this. I want to catch up on my reading, craft a bit, worship at church and in the various social opportunities that arise, and generally rest.

I hope you have a wonderful day. It is starting out cold, clear, and bright with sunshine and who doesn't love that?


No comments: