Saturday, July 26, 2014

Forrest Gump and tomatoes. No, wait- shrimp

Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.
He forgot shrimp N grits.

That of course was from Forrest Gump, the famous scene where he and a buddy are scrubbing the floor with a toothbrush and Gump is waxing poetical about shrimp.

I feel like Forrest. It's tomato season, and I'm being overrun with 'em.

Tomato soup, tomato salad, tomato sandwiches, tomato sauce, tomato salsa...frozen tomatoes!

I made tomato soup this afternoon, and a roux for the first time. I doubled the tomato soup recipe so as to use more tomatoes, but forgot to double the roux. Oh well. Who needs thick soup. Thin soup is sophisticated. Yeah, that's it. It came out great otherwise! Very quick and easy to prepare and it doesn't take long.

I used minced garlic and onions and when they were transparent, added the chopped tomatoes. Bring to boil then let simmer 20 min. Put in blender to finely grind, and then add roux once you've added the tomato mixture back into the pot. Salt, pepper, and a bit of sugar to cut the acidity. I like to put croutons on top for garnish. Black bean and mango salad and a lemon muffin on the side completed the lunch.

In a while I am going to take a nap. When I wake up I have to pick one more time at my friend's garden. I'll bring home some more tomatoes and tomorrow at church I'll ask around who wants some. This winter when I grab some of the frozen tomatoes from the fridge to make some more soup, I'll be grateful I picked. I'm more grateful for the friends who trusted me with their property, and generously shared their bounty.


No comments: