Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Cleaning Frankenstein's bolts

I much like how a child shifts from one topic to the next. I would like to do it that way myself but it would be considered rude by other adults. Too bad. Here is an example of a child's segue:

Tying his shoe we discussed his sneaker, his foot and his leg. When I finished tying it, he said, appropos of nothing,
"You know the bolts in Frankenstein's neck?"
I said, "Yes, what about them?"
"I think he takes them out every day to clean them."
"I think so too. Otherwise he'd get an infection."
"Yeah. That's what I think. Bye!"

source
Now that's a convenient way to change to a different topics when you're done with one.

Now some other boys were having a joking old time this morning. One had brought a list of jokes. He'd done a good job of memorizing one particular one. He ran up and said "Hey, you want to hear my jokes?" I said sure.

"Why was the nose sad?"
"I don't know. Why was the nose sad?"
"Because he didn't get picked!"
HA HA HA HA, riotous laughter from all the boys.

I've memorized two jokes to share back with him. I hope he laughs:

Knock Knock
Who’s there?
Boo
Boo Who?
Don’t cry it’s only a joke.

What do you call a prehistoric monster when he sleeps?
What?
A Dinosnore!

I made a cauliflower soup last night and it was pretty good. I steamed the cauliflower, and boiled up some bouillon cubes. I added some already steamed potatoes and carrots to the bouillon, and then the steamed cauliflower I'd pulverized in the blender. Mmm! A chicken salad with craisins on a fresh bagel finished the meal, and it was good and filling. Soon it will be too hot for soup. Unless I learn to make chilled cucumber soup or something. (Not gazpacho. I'm not a fan).

This week I learned the word Sesquipedalian, an obscure word that means 'a lover of obscure words.' I love the word, the irony of its meaning, and the perfection of a word that describes words I love!

No comments: