Saturday, June 19, 2010

Saturdays, oh Saturdays!

My typical Saturday is well underway. Though, in summer, I don't do as much cleaning on Saturday, choosing to spread it out over the week. I can do it any other day, unlike when I'm teaching, and there's no time on any day to do it. I drink my coffee, have a light breakfast, and then trot off to the Farm Market and then small errands in town. It doesn't take long, town is only a mile away and the post office, bank are right next to each other. The Dollar Store is a block down. And that's town, lol. It is a quaint town of white picket fences:


I bought blueberries and green beans today or $1 each and plan to use the beans as is, steamed with some pecans, instead of the voluminous amount I usually get and make green bean pâté. The blueberries are destined for cold milk and corn flakes.

I had some necessities to pick up at the Dollar Store, but The Official Trip Report from the Dollar Store brings the sad news that first, in order to avoid lawsuits for un-truth in advertising, they are going to have to re-name it the Two Dollar Store. All the prices went up from two weeks ago and it is getting harder to find items for that increasingly mythical $1 price. Likely all the dollar items having a rainbow picnic with the unicorn in the enchanted forest.

I bought 15 items. Nine had been raised in price, one was lower, and five remained the same. The total was $3.90 more than it would have been the week before.  That doesn't sound like a lot, but that was a cost increase over just 15 items, and since that is not the only raise-in-price all year, it adds up. The total was $31.35 and that's a 12% increase. Not good.

Back home, I shot this of a growing pine cone: I love God's design!


My plans for the rest of the day include reading, eating copious amounts of fresh and local fruits, and later, watching HGTV and the Food Network for some mindless tv. Last night's offering on Turner Classic Movies was "The Incredible Mr. Limpet" a movie I adored as a kid. It is still a charmer! Tonight, though, it's Judy Garland in "A Star is Born" and I am not a fan of Garland so I'll stick with design shows and recipes. Though, if I watch for a few minutes I'm usually hooked. I am usually happily surprised at the quality of the oldie movies. In one this week, "The Awful Truth" with Cary Grant and Irene Dunne, Irene's character was trying not to pine for her soon to be divorced hubby Cary and to work up some enthusiasm for Ralph Bellamy, a solid but boring suitor.

Her mother said, You had a lot of laughs with your husband, but now you want solid, dependable, stable? Lucy: Yes! Yes!
Mother: Get an annuity.

LOL!

No comments: