Friday, February 05, 2010

Slice of life


Rain rain rain!

I was sitting here, thinking, and I realized there is an irony in my life. I love ironies. Anyway, here it is: for a person who dislikes sports as much as I do, and watches it so little, I have had the happy accident of frequently seeing some of the world's most amazing sports moments live. On March 28, 1976 I saw the American Cup Gymnastics Championships featuring Nadia Comaneci, who scored the first perfect 10.0 ever in international competition in the floor exercise. I remember Jim McKay from Wide World of Sports' amazement at the moment. November 23, 1984 when Doug Flutie sent his Hail Mary pass between the Boston College Eagles and the University of Miami Hurricanes. I was watching it with my father and he went crazy as the pass of 63 yards against 30mph winds landed safely in the end zone and the arms of receiver Gerard Phelan. 1980 Winter Olympics at Lake Placid, New York, where I believed in miracles after the US Ice Hockey team beat the Russians, considered the best team in the world.

Not bad for a casual observer and sometime-sports enthusiast.

No comments: