Monday, June 02, 2008

You need the right tool for the job

When I moved into this apartment it was fully furnished, right down to the silverware. The landlord said that I could keep or give her back what I wished. I kept the bedroom set to use and a chair but I let her take back the rest. But I did keep her appliances, this was a big savings to me, not having to pay to pack and move them, not having to go out and buy new ones. Especially the vacuum cleaner. Those are expensive.

Unfortunately the vac never worked well.

I struggled and struggled, wondering if I was using it right. It was an expensive and fancy vacuum. I changed the bags. No go. I had a cat, then three cats, and I thought maybe the cat hair was getting to be to much for it. I kneeled and wiped the rugs by hand with a damp cloth.

Finally, I said, I need a better vacuum. I need the right tools to get the job done. It's worth the money. When you have the right tools it is a lifesaver in the long run.

I am a big proponent of this. Anyway I bit the bullet and went to Fred's (the inexpensive but clean cheap-o place). They were having a sale on vacuums, amazingly. But I was told by my friend Tim that I should avoid the bagless. They have lower suction. And I was looking for big suction. The store only had one bagged vacuum, a Euro-Pro "Shark." Ohh, I like the sound of that. A shark. And then the box said "Huge Suction." Even better! (I really like straight-to-the-point blurbs.) Unfortunately it was also the most expensive, $60. I had only brought $40. 'I guess I can use my credit card,' I thought.

As the clerk rang it up she said, "Hey it just went on sale! It's only $29.99!" "I need some of your luck, honey," the lady behind me said.

The Shark only required two screws to assemble it, the bag was already inside. I started vacuuming right away. Eureka! Oops, I mean Shark! It gobbles up everything on the floor! With one pass! No Carperpetuation for me! (kar' pur pet u a shun - n. The act, when vacuuming, of running over a string at least a dozen times, reaching over and picking it up, examining it, then putting it back down to give the vacuum one more chance.)

I was so happy. Even though it was 82 degrees with the A/C off I vacuumed all day. My carpets are clean. See? You need the right tools for the job.

1 comment:

maggiegracecreates said...

You can come vaccuum at my house if you would like - yes I was up at midnight - but I did take an afternoon nap. Have a wonderful day