Tuesday, June 17, 2008

An Inconvenient Truth

People try to refute the fact that Jesus is the Son of the Most High God. I used to be one of them. I used to think that Jesus was a prophet, rabbi, teacher. A good man, who taught some nice things. But God incarnated? That was a stretch.

As I've studied, prayed, and grown, I have learned that there are many irrefutable facts of the Truth. Jesus rose from the dead. People saw it. People wrote about it. People proclaimed it. They died for it. If the reports were false, the people hearing this news who were in the vicinity would have refuted it. The tomb was empty. More than that, the grave clothes were laid out with an impression of a human form still billowed underneath them. The two ton stone was moved. And so on. There are seven points of this fact of history excellently laid out here, with some excerpts below:

"The writers of the four Gospels either had themselves been witnesses or else were relating the accounts of eyewitnesses of the actual events. In advocating their case for the gospel, a word that means "good news," the apostles appealed (even when confronting their most severe opponents) to common knowledge concerning the facts of the resurrection.

"F. F. Bruce, Rylands professor of biblical criticism and exegesis at the University of Manchester, says concerning the value of the New Testament records as primary sources: "Had there been any tendency to depart from the facts in any material respect, the possible presence of hostile witnesses in the audience would have served as a further corrective."

"You can trust God right now by faith through prayer. Prayer is talking with God. God knows your heart and is not so concerned with your words as He is with the attitude of your heart. If you have never trusted Christ, you can do so right now."

The prayer I prayed is: "Lord Jesus, I need You. Thank You for dying on the cross for my sins. I open the door of my life and trust You as my Savior. Thank You for forgiving my sins and giving me eternal life. Make me the kind of person You want me to be. Thank You that I can trust You.""

Facts are facts, Caesar conquered. King Henry had 8 wives. Alexandria had a magnificent library. Jesus lived, died, and rose again. Call upon Him now as your Savior! No man knows the number of his days. Wouldn't you like to dwell with Jesus in heaven forever? Repent now and accept Him. Amen!!

2 comments:

~ty said...

"I used to think that Jesus was a prophet, rabbi, teacher. A good man, who taught some nice things. But God incarnated? That was a stretch."

The above is my current opinion, and (I must say) that opinion has actually only evolved and elevated to that status within the past year.

If it's not too personal, what changed your opinion? How did you come to embrace Christianity?

Elizabeth Prata said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy you are saved. Serving Him is what it's about.

I had a gradual awakening from 2001-2006 whereupon in December 2003 I finally realized that God is real and then spent the next two yers realizing Jesus is real. And then I moved to Georgia and went to church and said so in public. It'd take a book to tell it all, but the gist is: I called on Him in a moment of need and He was there.

How about you? What elevated your thinking to the Truth?