Saturday, March 07, 2020

Sun for once!

By Elizabeth Prata



Good morning! I hope you all enjoy this SUNNY day. If you're sick of the rain, here's the reason, and it's not your imagination! NWS rainfall totals as of yesterday for the last 90 days in Athens are 215% of normal, with 14 inches MORE than the 12 inches we normally get. 26.81 inches. And when it wasn't raining we have had little sun, mainly cloudy days have invaded our winter this year. And the rain of course.

I am not kidding, I don't know how people in Seattle do it. We have had practically three straight months of rain, steady, hard driving, cold rain. Yesterday was only one of a very few scattered sunny days and today too. Phew.

At school we were all getting cabin fever with the constant indoor recesses. People on car rider duty came back in with soaked shoes, rain coming down sideways and the umbrella no use. Kids were getting bonkers from needing to release energy, and the pervasive dark affected the staff's mood. Seattle, I got to hand it to you.

Yesterday was a nice day so I took advantage and ran to the Library after school to pick up my interlibrary loan. When it's 42 degrees and raining buckets I just don't want to run errands. I want to scuttle home and put on sweatpants and a comfy shirt and curl up! I have to hand it to Seattle again, my productivity declines when it's raining.

So the book I'd ordered is The Prince of Providence: The Rise and Fall of Buddy Cianci, America's Most Notorious Mayor. My family is from Providence and I was born there. I grew up in Rhode Island during the Cianci era. He was a colorful man, that is for sure.

While I was at the library I stepped into the Book Sale room, the Spring Friends of the Library Book sale had opened yesterday. I scored 10 books for $16, a nice price. Eight of them are theological books I plan to give away. I had to wade through Osteens, Lucados, Joyce Meyers, Gloria Copelands and other heretical books to get these. I snapped up some good ones and will give them to people in church who want them.



I also got two for myself. One is a coffee table sized book called Log Cabins, looking at architecture and interior design. I lived in a little bungalow on a lake for many years and I loved it. Fireplace and stone chimney, flagstone patio outside, all cedar walls inside. It's one of my design aesthetics. The other is a book labeled Chick Wit, funny books aimed at women. I thought I'd give it a try.


The puddles in the yard this week have been lake sized. This one has shrunk a lot since Thursday.


Flowers blooming!



Lines and shadows



Just a nice, rural yard, trailer, shed, trees, pergola...ahhh.




I was so tired yesterday that as I browsed at the Library Book Sale I could feel my energy literally draining away. I knew I was operating on fumes and to continue my plan to drive to The Special Store (vintage shop I love) and then Kroger to do groceries would be a stretch. I was stupid-tired. Plus I had a headache getting worse by the moment.

I drove home and put on my comfy clothes and actually fell asleep for two hours! That hasn't happened in a long time. I'm usually tired on Friday after school but I don't like to nap on weeknights. I woke up long enough to fry an egg and then after a little while went back to bed.

The good thing is I have lots of energy to enjoy this day, bask in warm sun, feel the crisp air, listen to the birds singing, and just...be.

I hope you have good moments this day to stop and as they say, smell the roses.

3 comments:

Grace to You said...

We've had the same kind of winter you've had, cloudy and rainy. My husband was offered a job in Seattle early last year, before the one he accepted here in NC. He didn't take it, partly because of the weather - we had been living in CO, the land of 300+ days of sunshine a year, for 4 years and he thought he would hate Seattle. This winter has convinced him he made the right decision. :)

Elizabeth Prata said...

I'd take NC over Seattle any day! I read up on the rain there, it's because of the mountains etc, but what I didn't know is that though they get only 39 inches of rain per year, the average # of rainy (or snowy) days is 132. When it does rain it's less than an inch. So, lots of mist and drizzle. Oh, joy.

Grace to You said...

I had heard that about the mist...I love rainy days, but a constant mist just sounds annoying. :)