Monday, January 21, 2019

Errands on a day off

By Elizabeth Prata


My day off began with piercing cold and a drive to the tire store early this morning. Yesterday I'd stopped in to the tire store to add air to my constantly deflating tire. The tire guy saw a nail in it. Ohhhh, that's why I always had to put air in it.

That's a praise to my Lord's providential care. I am really a numb nuts when it comes to practical living. He kept me safe until I finally sorted it out. They had one in my size in stock but no time to install it, so I said I'd be back in the morning.

Though it was cold, it wasn't frigid. One thing I like about Georgia, even in January, is that as I passed cows grazing, they were grazing on green grass. There were birds flitting in the trees. I spotted two of those little neon blue birds I like so much. The sun is strong, and it warms the air quickly, so you know the whole day isn't going to be a hunker down kind of day.

I got my tire in under an hour and swung by Kroger for a few items. No one was there, something I enjoyed When I normally go, on Sundays after church, it's crowded. Sunday, the clerks tell me, is one of their busiest days. I don't know why. I'd have thought Friday night or Saturday afternoon would be busier. Then I decided to get the splashed mud off my car. A fast driving 18-wheeler passed me on one of the rainy days in a muddy spot on the road and my car got covered. No one was at the car wash either, strangely enough. I'm just kidding, It was still below freezing and I felt a little bad for the boys who mop the car with soap as you enter the auto wash, but oh well.

I had spent numerous days in Maine during the really freezing winter washing the endless salt off my car. I remember one time a guy got stuck in the car wash (it was personal wash, not automatic) as the garage door you close stuck to the ground because the car wash water freezes quickly. Usually if you just bang the door a bunch it comes unstuck, but not that day. The guy yelled and the guy waiting behind him helped him get out lol. Life in Maine.

Anyway, I plan to cook up the things I bought at Kroger, (tomato soup, black bean patties, roasted green peppers, crabcakes) finish my book, and then head out again to a friend's house for dinner. Italian soup, I hear, is on the menu.

Waiting for my new tire to be put on

3 comments:

Grace to You said...

Would you believe, I had never used a commercial car wash till we lived in Maine? There were always winter days in the South that were warm enough to wash the car myself. After realizing I couldn't see out of the back window in Maine, I wondered how in the world I was going to wash my car in sub-zero temps. A kind neighbor gave me a car wash gift certificate for Christmas that first year, and a whole new world opened up to me. :D

Elizabeth Prata said...

LOL that's funny

Grace to You said...

It really was an adventure...my son was only three at the time, and he was equal parts terrified and fascinated with the car wash, so he would reach out and hold my hand for comfort and make the cutest sounds of awe. I would take pictures with my free hand of the marbled patterns the soap would make on the windshield. Good times. :)