Friday, February 01, 2019

The Special Store yields treasure once again

By Elizabeth Prata

My favorite store is called The Special Store. It's a vintage/antique/estate re-sale store. They acquire lots from estate sales and re-sell them. The prices are incredible, low enough for me on a limited budget to afford to shop there.

Since the inventory rotates, it's always interesting to go there, because you never know what you will find.

I write this way to let you know that no matter your budget, you can feel like a champ and not get left out of shopping. Everyone likes to find a cute little something to buy for themselves once in a while. Even though the bulk of our budget is dedicated to paying bills and charitable endeavors, with a bit of creativity and patience, you can find sweet little things to buy that charm you.

Today I found lots of cool things and didn't spend more than $5.50


I'm excited about the Bird Identification book! The Guy De Maupassant is in French. The pages within will be used for crafting. The Scott book is a compilation of his poems, and has a no publication date marked inside, but it's old. The spine is blue with gold gilt wreaths.

The Household Words was a fun find. It's the compilation of the weekly journal 'conducted by' Charles Dickens. It was published in 1857 and the front features red leather three-quarter binding with marbling. The spine is raised with bands. So cool, said this ole bookbinder. I bet the stories inside are good too!





Note paper! All of it for $1. I will use half the large ream of white paper at home for printing and the other half I'll take to school for the kids to draw on. The others are just handy to have around I really bought the pile for the doodle faces pad. I'll bring that to school also, for the kids.






The teapot is Noritake china, pattern Chatham, produced between 1954-1964, so it is mid-century. I found the teacup today among others, but no saucers. I got the cup for fifty cents. I have a saucer with the iconic silver line around the rim just as the Chatham has so I'll use that saucer when I use this cup.



A friend and co-worker gave me some tea from Forte, very fancy! It is black currant tea, and I brewed some to sip while I dug into the research on the books.



The ride to this store from school isn't long, about 7-8 minutes, and I pass pastures and hills and cows. The sun was shining brightly and despite the frigid temps earlier this week, today was 62 degrees. It is a very nice way to end the day.

Hope you all have a nice weekend. :)

2 comments:

Grace to You said...

I love enjoying your treasures vicariously! I don't presume to think you would have time for more friends in real life, but it is pleasant to think of spending an afternoon with you and your books.

Elizabeth Prata said...

I'd love that! We will get together when we get 'there'. :)