Sunday, January 20, 2019

Birds in my backyard

By Elizabeth Prata

I'm blessed with a lot of foliage in and around the yard, and as a result, I'm blessed with lots of birds that visit. The other day I was writing with the window open and I heard so many calls. I began to list in my mind the birds I have come to learn by sight, and the list was pretty long (for me, not to a real birder!). I am trying to learn them by call, too.


I thought this video was perfect. The videographer records backyard common bird calls, shows them live in a tree or at his feeder, then posts a photo with label and lingers on it for a few seconds so you can really see the details. It goes at just the right pace.



Here is my list of Birds I have seen in my yard


Crows
Turkey vultures
Blue jay
Cardinal
Mockingbird
Carolina Wren
Cedar Waxwing
Hen
Rooster
Robin
Killdeer
Geese
Hawk
Eurasian dove
Chickadee
Pileated Woodpecker
Red Winged Blackbird
Goldfinch
Hummingbird

Blue heron (at my other apartment)
Emu (in the county)

Elsewhere in the US

Anhinga
Road runner
Pelican
Roseate spoonbill
Puffin
Mandarin duck
Eagle
Cormorant
Loon
Seagull
Sandpiper
Osprey




4 comments:

Grace to You said...

One of the birds we see all the time here in Colorado is magpies. You should google pictures of them - they're beautiful birds!

Grace to You said...

I meant to ask - are you the photographer for all the pictures?

Elizabeth Prata said...

I'll look up the magpies. I don't think I've ever seen one!

Yes, I took all the pics ;)

Grace to You said...

They're really lovely...I thought some of them were from online magazines!