Thursday, June 28, 2018

My little office

This might not look like much, but it's both a victory and a pleasure. Let me explain.



I live in a 425 sf apartment, essentially, 2 rooms plus bath. Every item brought in has to fulfill a need, be beautiful, and/or have a spot to land. I spend the bulk of my time in the apartment at the table, reading, writing, and surfing the internet, which doubles as entertainment with my various streaming services. Therefore, the dining table doubles as a desk, and this area in the kitchen as an office. But how not to have clutter? How to have everything handy, within arm's reach? I do not want it to look messy but I want it to be functional.

If you think about all the accouterments one needs to have a viable office, it's a lot. I have:

Printer (old, the driver is going on it...still works though )
Scanner (old driver, it's going...still works though)
Personal Laminator
printer paper
notebooks
reference books
Bibles
notepads
prayer journal
books I'm reading now
Pens, scissors, paper clips
Post-its
Post-it Arrow Tabs
Cat Nail Clippers, comb
USB chargers
Cellphone
Speakers
Tissues (sappy movies get me every time, so does praying, and reading the Bible)
Table fan
coaster for water/tea/coffee
Lamp (good light is a must!)

All must be within hand. So I created a space where, voila, it is within reach of where I sit. It's organized, and not-unpleasant looking. As an organizer person that is why I call it a victory. This is what you see from different vantage points in the living room, where guests might be. Everything is on or inside the bookcase:




We have a mini-store at school where a salesman comes once a month to set up a display of school-related items teachers might want to buy. In May there was a darling looking little notebook I could not resist. That's my weakness, paper and notebooks.

It's hardcover, and inside one cover is a lined full size pad, and on the other inside cover is another array if post-it sized pads, sticky tabs, a smaller lined pad, and an envelope to contain scraps and notes and stuff. I wasn't sure how I'd use it, but I decided I wanted it anyway. I don't usually gravitate to girly things, but I do like it. Maybe there's frilly hope for me yet.

It since has become my prayer journal, and I sure do love it.




I watched The Karate Kid again on Amazon Prime the other day. I say 'again' because I saw it when it first came out, 34 years ago! Hard to believe how fast time flies. It has held up very well. Everyone needs a Mr Miyagi in their life, someone to be patient, kind, and take an interest. To just be there for you.



2 comments:

Grace to You said...

As much as I love the organization, you know what my favorite part of the bookcase is? The lamp on top. :) I LOVE a lamp in the kitchen. Weird, I know, but true. :D

Elizabeth Prata said...

thank you! It is my favorite as well. It's a vintage lamp I got at an antique store. I just love that lamp and it gives off just the right amount of light, making a comfy glow at night.