Friday, June 01, 2018

Heading out, then I'll be glad to get back in

I possess:

407 hard copy books
84 digital books
4 magazines

Yet, it might not be enough...

Abibliophobia - Fear of running out of things to read.



Fortunately I am on Summer Break so I do get to read a lot.

Summer Break throws me into a time vertigo, though. I have 9 weeks at home. I lose track of what day it is. I started a visual journal of my days so I can sort of keep up. Here are the first three days-








It is also supposed to challenge me to be creative with photography. In truth, every single day could be a photo of the cats and books. That's it. I'm a routine person. I'm not an outdoors person and I'm not a people person and I'm not a social person. Gee, looking at that list I think I am Boring Person!

How can I present the minutiae of my life, and make it interesting? How can I capture one photo of a moment and if I look back on it next year or five years from now, will I remember that I was doing or what that was about? That is the question.

I started an EB White biography and it's charming. I also downloaded an autobiography of Amelia E. Barr who lived through the 1800s and died in 1919. I wish there was a hard copy book because I prefer to hold a book in my hand but hard copy of her books are hard to come by, so I'll be happy reading about this remarkable woman on my Kindle. She was amazing! You know the movie Remember The Alamo? She wrote the book of the same title the movie was based on.

I am thinking I'll go 15 miles south on a little expedition this morning. A General Store/Tea Room/Gift Shop is a few miles below me. It is old, has wide plank floors, art, homemade treats, is a hub in that little village, and all the things you'd think a little out of the way place in a little village like that would be. It's in a direction I never go. I always head west to Athens, since that is where Kroger grocery store is and my church and doctors and friends. Isn't it funny that we get into these habits and usually just take the same road? I am reminded of a Jimmy Buffett Song Take Another Road. Today I think I will. Photos to come.

I do have important errands to accomplish so it's a given I will go out today.

Sunday is my next scheduled outing. Between the outing times, what do I do all day in my tiny apartment? Read, write, study, think, pray, and explore the world, virtually. I remember before internet. I remember before internet. After internet is better.

Have a good day everyone!




6 comments:

Grace to You said...

Is that Melissa Sweet's Some Writer you're reading? We LOVE that book! Melissa has illustrated several other biographies that are every bit as charming - we have the ones of Audubon and Roget. The next on my list to buy is A River of Words, about poet William Carlos Williams. Her books are keepers.

For several years I tried to do a 365 Project, which is to take just one picture a day and post it to social media. I never got halfway through the year because I ran out of things to photograph - I thought my life was so boring. Now I love looking at those pictures - they're better than a journal to me.

Grace to You said...

I should have thought to make a recommendation for this summer's reading in my earlier message - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It is by far one of the best fiction books I have read in a long while.

I've been reading a lot of Gladys Hasty Carroll lately...most, if not all, of her novels are set in Maine circa early 1900s. My favorite so far is Only Fifty Years Ago, which depicts a year in the life of a rural Maine family month by month - but I'm on my fifth and they're all excellent.

Elizabeth Prata said...

Hi Grace To You,

Sorry for the delay in responding. My blogger email comment notification suddenly stopped.

I remember you had said something about the Potato Peel society before, I put it on my wish list. And yes, I bought the Sweet EB White biography, again on your recommendation. :) thank you!

I'm on day 8 of the photo journal, and yes, my life is boring and it is a stretch to post something different each day...but I'm enjoying it!

Elizabeth Prata said...

I went back to look at my list and noticed the Potato Peel society book was set for Kindle, which was more expensive than paperback (which I always prefer). I switched it. That's why it looks like I added it only today. I'll look into the 1900s Main series. Thanks as always for the recs!

Grace to You said...

Would you believe, I had no idea you could look at other people's Amazon wish lists? You CAN teach an old dog new tricks! :) And speaking of old dogs, would you believe I didn't (and still don't) remember giving you the recommendations for either book? Getting old is not for sissies! :)

Elizabeth Prata said...

Hey you tricky old dog! I just got the Potato Peel book!!! Thank you! You're so VERY kind! I need your address etc!! email me please