Friday, June 08, 2018

A day out

I am having a ball this summer! I love summer, love, love, love. Who would not love being able to stay home and drink coffee slowly in the morning, laugh at the clock, and take naps? One day I took TWO naps.

I think my favorite thing about summer break is knowing I don't have to get up (though I rise early every day anyway) and drinking my 2 cups of coffee slowly without hurry. I really love the leisurely coffee part. Of course, I enjoy having the mental chops to read heavier books, and not being so tired all the time.

Last night I sat outside at dark and watched the fireflies and the stars come out. It was a soft evening, like wearing a velvet cape, and some happy birds sang in the dark.

Today I had to go to Athens and retrieve my new glasses I'd ordered. I like them! I never got used to the bifocal line, so I got progressive lenses this time. Insurance covered it, yay.

I stopped at the car wash, got a hot tea and breakfast sandwich at Starbucks thanks to a gift certificate, and went to The Special Store for books. Here is the photographic rundown.

The entire haul: (except the painting)


Books: Hardcover a dollar, soft cover 50 cents

  • The Complete Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, 1975, hardcover
  • Laura Hillenbrand, Unbroken, hardcover
  • Ian McEwan, Saturday, paperback
  • A Huddle of Sheep: Poems and Quotes
  • Pictures and Stories of Animals, McLoughlin



Colorful small dish, to be used at the kitchen sink for steel wool pads. $1,





Note cards! One set is Thank You, another is an Autumn motif, blank inside, the black and white set is also blank inside, and the longer ones with the sweet cardinal at the end are just letter sized envelopes. They were all just 50 cents each.


Small drawing, framed, $2.



Antique book, Hand sewn binding. Color plates.
Apparently McLoughlin books were pioneers in color illustrations in children's books in the 1800s and early 1900s. This is from 1902. They are highly collectible.


I had a nice ride with no vehicular issues or mechanical break downs. It was a nice couple of hours, and returning home was also nice. The last few days have been cooler with low humidity, but today the humidity came swimming back and the temps are in the 90s. It was HOT standing on the pavement going thru the boxes of books. I am glad I did my errands early.

I've been using a charcoal scrub on my face, and it feels great! My skin is so soft. And at the Dollar Store they had lavender scented Epsom salts, I've been soaking my feet a few times per week. Nice! I have a pitcher of lime or lemon water in the fridge at all times, which I pour into and sip from a crustal-etched glass. It's like a spa around here.

I hope everyone has a nice day!


1 comment:

Grace to You said...

I'm so happy to hear you're enjoying your spacation!! :D

The little bird drawing is exquisite!