Thursday, August 07, 2014

Second to last week day of summer vacation

Only one more weekday, then the weekend and then school starts. It's been a good summer. It felt that it went by fast and took forever to finish. Both.

I started readying things for Monday morning. I changed the sheets, prepared the laundry, and did some cooking. Tomorrow I'll vacuum and actually do the laundry. (It'll be cooler tomorrow than today and the dryer makes the garage go to 120 degrees... so I waited).

I had two overripe bananas ready for banana muffins. But I didn't want to make muffins from scratch, so I googled "banana muffins from pancake mix" and voila. I love the Internet.

They came out fine. As a matter of fact, they turned more golden on top than the ones I make from scratch with flour.

I also shelled and made a batch of butter beans, with onion, green peppers and carrot. I put diced bread and butter pickles on top with hot sauce to make a faux Southern pinto beans with chow chow.

And since I had two large zucchini and was using the oven for the muffins, I made zucchini crisps. Slice the zucchini into 1/4 inch rounds, toss in a slight amount of olive oil to coat, and press into a mixture of Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. Bake at 450 degrees for half an hour. It caused a lot of smoke in the apartment, because the excess bread crumb mixture on the baking sheet burned, but oh well. What's cooking without a bit of smoke.

I listened to a sermon, watched the pilot of Happy Days, and read an old graduate book I had called "Children's Writing: Perspectives in Research." I also wrote another blog essay on the other blog, and moderated a lot of comments. I read 1 Samuel 12 and pondered that a long while. Of course the much beloved 3:00 nap was a given, with all three kitties on the bed with me. Even Murray is napping with us now. I'll go through withdrawal Monday when I have to give up my naps, and all this luxurious time to myself. But it's for a good reason, lol. It's called "Employment". Works for me.

3 comments:

Grace to You said...

Thanks for another squash idea!

I've been meaning to tell you that I tried cooking squash down like you suggested 2-3 weeks ago, and I love it! Friends I've shared it with seem to like it too.

Elizabeth Prata said...

I'm so glad you like the zucchini ideas! I really enjoy cooking the zucchini down and then adding Parmesan cheese on top, and serve with crusty bread. yum! The zucchini chips were good, The Recipe said to serve right away and I agree, re-heating them they would not taste as great as they did just coming out of the oven. Thought if you have a toaster oven they cold be reheated well. (I don't). So I solved my problem by eating them all right away ;)

I'm glad your friends liked the zucchini too.

Grace to You said...

btw - voila, I love the internet too. :)