Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Sundays are for Masterpiece Theatre

I spent a wonderful evening Sunday watching a reprise of Masterpiece Theatre's "Cranford." I hadn't see it on its first go-round, so I was delighted to stumble across this fantastically well-written and funny drama. The ripostes, the retorts, the language...it was music to my ears. Further, it brought to mind happy high school days.

You see, I am a nerd. A geek. A brain. Someone people edge away from because of my social ineptitude and penchant for seques that are far removed from current conversation but which to me, make perfect sense. In high school, I felt that spending an evening outside and cold, uncomfortable on wet bleachers, and screaming my head off for the football win was less than desirable. So I stayed home and watched I, Claudius. The Six Wives of Henry VIII, Elizabeth R, I, Claudius, Upstairs, Downstairs, crown jewels of the Masterpiece Theatre of the 1970s. Like I said. Geek.

Watching Cranford brought back all that I love about period pieces with high wit and good writing, great costumes and a moral point. An example of the writing:

"Put no further pastries to your lips for you will choke when you hear the news I must report."

"Miss Deborah Jenkyns: I would prefer it if I did not enjoy oranges;   consuming them is a most incommodious business."

LOL. Anyway, I recommend Cranford. Masterpiece Theatre, 9 pm Sundays. It's better than football!

No comments: