Friday, October 02, 2009

Red sky, sailors take warning, signs of the times

Feeding my cats in the dark back room this early morning, I looked through the small window to see the entire sky a deep red. I nipped outside to snap a photo, but the sky had lightened. It is still pretty. I thought of the old adage,

"Red Sky at night, Sailor's delight. Red sky in morning, sailor take warning."

Where did this adage come from? I had observed it to be true often enough, having lived on a sailboat for two years. We did take notice when the sky was red in morning because it often stormed later. Well, it comes from the bible:

Matthew 16:2-3-- But He replied to them, "When it is evening, you say, 'It will be fair weather, for the sky is red.' "And in the morning, 'There will be a storm today, for the sky is red and threatening.' Do you know how to discern the appearance of the sky, but cannot discern the signs of the times?"

Indeed. More here on the signs of the times.

No comments: