Monday, June 08, 2020

Spaghetti Squash soup

By Elizabeth Prata

I like spaghetti squash. I need to eat gluten free, lactose free, low FODMAP, and watch the carbs. It is quite limiting. But spaghetti squash is one of those veggies that ticks all the boxes, AND I can eat a lot of it. Win!

There's only one problem, even a small spaghetti squash yields a ton of squash. I usually search for the smallest one in the grocery bin, but even that smallest one gives me a lot of squash to handle. I often have to eat it aggressively to ensure I consume it all before it goes bad.

I poke some holes in the rind and pop it into the crock pot as is, adding a bit of water. Setting the temperature on high, it cooks in just an hour or two. I take it out when the rind is good and soft when I insert a knife, and I cut it in half (using a towel to protect my hands from the hot squash). This lets it cool faster with the two sides open.

The recipe called for putting the pulled strands from the squash rind into the blender. I did that, but I put only half into the blender and simply chopped up the rest. I believe this was a mistake. It made for a funny texture and also the dripping spaghetti squash strands make a mess while I eat it.

I also used coconut milk in addition to the chicken broth. I omitted the onions from the recipe since I can't eat them. I added carrots and celery and half a green pepper. It came out good and with next time I'll just blend all of the squash instead of blending half and putting the other half into the soup.

There's something comforting about cooking a pot of soup. It's satisfying to know that I have a container of soup in the fridge. And I can eat a lot of it. It is a low calorie, low carb soup. Only 9 carbs in a 1-cup serving. That means I can have a cup of soup and a sandwich for a meal instead of having to choose one or the other. Soup's on, enjoy!

Spaghetti Squash soup 9 carbs per cup

4 comments:

Grace to You said...

I had never heard of spaghetti squash soup - I wish I had known about it a week ago, before I threw out the last bit of squash I couldn't eat before it went bad. So glad for another way to eat it that might help me be able to eat it more quickly.

Elizabeth Prata said...

That was exactly my problem! I'd say again that using it all in the blender makes for better texture IMO than leaving some of the shortened strands int he soup. I also used corn starch to thicken the soup. I made a slurry out of it then whisked it in and let it simmer a few minutes to thicken and burn off the starch taste. Its a hearty and thick soup now! Which is great because it's rainy today, perfect soup day

Grace to You said...

I looked at the recipe you included the link for, and was surprised to see it wasn't cream-based...I don't think I've ever seen a squash soup (I've made butternut squash soup before) that had tomatoes in it. I'm not a big fan of tomato-based soups so I found a creamed spaghetti squash soup recipe and am going to try it.

Elizabeth Prata said...

Good luck! I like soups because they are flexible. If there is an ingredient I don't have or can't eat, I just leave it out! I'm the opposite of you with the tomatoes- if it DOESN'T Have tomatoes in it I am more likely to keep scrolling, lol!