Sunday, June 21, 2020

Saturday errands

By Elizabeth Prata

Yesterday was one of those days where you had to go out and around doing errands. Errands aren't my favorite thing, but they're part of life. So I try to be observational and consciously look for cute or interesting things to remember. It keeps my observation skills sharp (which I had to develop as a roving news reporter back in the day), and it keeps my mind focused on something positive. Else, I'd grumble the whole time about errands.

That day I needed to go to the Dollar General store to get shades. I was finally going to solve two problems. Someone has kindly bought me a three-step ladder. I need to change out the curtains sometimes, or get them down for a wash, or change the shower curtain, and I have to stand on precarious things to do it. Not good when you live alone and aren't nimble. I'd been waiting to see of The Special Store had one, (a second hand, vintage store) but the lady says whenever they come in, they go out fast. Finally I bit the bullet and searched for a new one but they are expensive. I wished for one and a very generous someone blessed me.

The second thing that gets solved with this ladder is the curtain situation. I've never been happy with the curtains over the kitchen sink. Its a very dark area of the apartment, but it's where I spend most of my time. The neighbors on the other side of the house have their kitchen window looking directly into mine For privacy's sake I put up a couple of sheers, that way the light still comes in but blurs the view. It never looked good though, just makeshift and temporary. I found these lightweight blinds at Dollar General, they don't have a cord (saves the cat) and they don't require hardware to put up. Best of all, they are only $5 so if I make a mistake putting them up, no big loss.

So one of the errands is heading to the store to get the shades. If they work, I'll get some more and put them on the bathroom window and the front door window. I need the light and want the privacy and these are supposed to do both.

Also- I headed to the library to return books, and Kroger to buy a few necessities. I didn't need much. Fruit was on sale. Blueberries for $2.50, pineapples were $2, and grapes 88-cents a pound. Too good to pass up. It also gets me out of the house. The Library book drop was closed, only accepting books M-F, so I'll have to go back during the week. Grrr, another errand.

I snapped some photos along the way, like this one at the BBQ place. It wasn't open yet. When it is, it's crowded. And for you northerners like me, barbecue to Yankees is an activity you do pushing around meat over an outside grill. But to Southerners it's a meat item that is slow cooked with drippy sauce. Totally different things.

I thought the seats at the BBQ place looked like Mexican sombreros


It was a nice day. The Car Wash place was buzzing with activity. The automatic car wash is expensive but the vacuuming is free. Tons of people cleaning out their cars.

A lot of cars on the road hauling little campers or bass boats. I know where people are headed this nice Saturday!

You know you've been bingeing on too much of the survivalist reality program Alone when you see an A-frame doghouse and think, 'Awesome shelter, man!' lol.

I saw a woman wearing a mask. While driving. Alone in her car. Hm.

I've noticed this year the birds in my yard seem very active and very plentiful. Maybe that's just because I've been home since early spring and not at work like normal, so I can observe them more,  but even now during summer when I'd normally be watching and listening, they seem to have peppered the yard with calls, low flights, and lots of insect-catching. Right on, keep doing that, birds!

I hope you all have a nice weekend.


No comments: