Saturday, February 22, 2020

Resetting the Room

By Elizabeth Prata

I enjoy being productive. I enjoy knowing I'm using my time and resources well. I always have. After I was saved and became a Christian, I learned the importance of shepherding our resources wisely. This is because all that we have is given to us by God, and when we use our resources well (time, space, money, energy...) then it honors Him, the Giver.

I listen to a podcast and read the blog of Reagan Rose called Redeeming Productivity. In the latest podcast, he talked about 6 tweaks to habits he is trying out. One of those he called "Resetting the Room."

Goodness, I already do that one! I love it! I just didn't have a name to call it, except "normal." LOL.

It's when you leave a room for the day or the night, and you take a moment to put everything back into order the way it was when you entered. You put the sofa pillows back into the corners. You collect the coffee mugs or soda cans and bring them to the kitchen. If the kitchen is your main go-to room, you wash the dishes or put them into the dishwasher, lay the towel over the hook. Make it look organized for yourself or the next person or the next time you enter it.

I enjoy when I walk into a room and it's orderly. It is restful to walk in and be calmed rather than be aggravated. It's why I make my bed every morning. I pick up my clothes and either put them into the hamper or hang them in the closet. When I walk into a room I don't want to have my stomach clench up or grimace because I see all the things I have to do to get the room ready for use instead of being able to come in and just enjoy the room.



When I was growing up, the adult in my home had a different idea of orderly than I did. My love for orderliness comes from that and the opportunity I have now to make my place exactly the way I want it. I know since I live alone it's easier to maintain its tidiness. But even for a married couple or a mom of a busy family, it doesn't take long to re-hang the dishcloth, to put the dishes in the sink, clear off the table of accumulated stuff, put away the laundry.

I think resetting the room makes sense. What do you think? Do just abandon it all and head to bed, and it doesn't bother you? Do you pick up? Obsessively clean LOL, your mileage may vary, but I do enjoy an orderly room.


3 comments:

Grace to You said...

I have always been a little OCD about tidiness. I used to be a little OCD about cleaning but that has decreased as I've gotten older. :) The secret I learned a long time ago is that if your house is tidy, people seem to automatically assume it's clean, so that's what I concentrate on, which works out well because it's what I want to concentrate on anyway. Clutter overwhelms me in ways dust bunnies never could. :)

Elizabeth Prata said...

I'm with you there! I would love to more regularly wipe my baseboards, but the place is so small and would require moving so much furniture, that I don't do it much. But if the room looks picked up, then as you said, they assume it's clean! And baseboards are well, out of sight, out of mind!

Grace to You said...

Ugh...I wish you hadn't mentioned baseboards. I just noticed the other day the late afternoon sunshine was hitting one of the baseboards and I was shocked - shocked, I tell you! - how dusty it was. Thankfully the sun moved on pretty quickly and I was able to forget it until you reminded me. :)