Saturday, February 15, 2020

How many office supplies do I need, anyway?

By Elizabeth Prata

I don't like to be acquisitive, but I do have weaknesses for certain things that I think are pretty. I like lamps. I like rugs. I like art. But thankfully those larger items are too expensive or too bulky to keep buying. My floors are covered in area rugs. I have enough lamps. Though, The Special Store has wonderful lamps I'm always eyeing. At least I know where to go if a lamp breaks or becomes unusable. Lampshades too. My walls are full of art. No more room. And for the most part I enjoy what I have and if I want a change I just switch them around in the apartment.

But I love notebooks and office supplies. Love. Love. Love. Can never have enough! I use them constantly. They are small enough to store without my place becoming cluttered. And they're functional.

It helps if they are pretty, also. A friend sent me a Robrasim handmade leather journal. I love it. They are refillable, too.



At school we have a guy who does a monthly pop-up shop in the copy room. He is from Collective Goods, formerly known as Books R Fun. Educational materials, doo-dads, and things for home. I love the stationery they offer, lots of good quality cards. I like to use cards for encouragement to give or send postal mail. Those are a good buy. They also offer office supplies. Uh-oh! Temptation!!!

I bought a set of sticky Notes in a 'Happy Camper' cute motif.


I do not write in any of my books or in my Bible. Ever. I use arrow sticky notes. I also use square sticky notes to make myself notes, all the time. So, who doesn't need like a thousand sticky notes in a cute camper motif? I mean really? We all do. Surely.

What's your weakness? ;)



3 comments:

Grace to You said...

I am developing a weakness for lamps, which is surprising to me as I never cared much about them before. I bought most of the lamps we have at the Christmas Tree Shop when we lived in Maine. They were cheap, which was a benefit monetarily but not so much when they're so light weight and top heavy they tip over easily. I have three lamps that need to be fixed as I type this. :)

After moving to NC last summer, I found a flea market kind of place that has one particular booth which carries nice things at really good prices. I bought a pair of huge, heavy and quirky lamps last fall for $30 and have enjoyed them tremendously, and then I found two similar lamps at Goodwill for even less, and now I'm hooked and haunt both of these places on a weekly basis looking for more lamps. I tell myself I'm being thrifty, replacing cheap lamps with inexpensive but good quality lamps, which is true, but sometimes I feel myself almost falling into an abyss. :)

Elizabeth Prata said...

I'm thrilled you have access to a good flea market that has good prices! I understand about standing on the precipice. I'm on the edge myself, looking down...one more lamp will push me over, I think...

Grace to You said...

But we need more light as we get older, right? :)