Saturday, March 02, 2019

With the car seat warmer AND the air conditioning on...decadent!

By Elizabeth Prata

I was crazy tired but went for some retail therapy Friday afternoon anyway. There was no rain for the moment and the skies were lightening and pretty. It's a gorgeous ride in this bucolic area, so I decided to go for it. It was a busy week at school that finished with Book Character Day. Phew.

I have a seat warmer in the driver's side seat of my car and it feels so good on my back after 8 hours of walking on concrete floors. It was 68 degrees and humid, so I turned on the air conditioner too. With the gospel radio channel on, I was starting to feel luxuriously relaxed.

The owner at the shop happened to be there and moving things around to make the back room (furniture) look like a showroom. I heard before that she was taking more of a hands-on interest because she loves the shop and wanted to spend more time here. She and a friend were hard at work making the place organized, clean, and attractive. The place is usually a jumble. Sadly she did not have any step ladders, the item I went there for. The two they have they use in the shop. She said she would email me if she found one at the estate sale they were buying at this weekend.

I bought a pad of vintage paper for school, it's 5X8 and lightly colored in pastel colors and some crayons. The kids will love drawing on these blank sheets. And a throw pillow for $3, it's very pretty. I have been watching Dr Lori Verderame, a famous and knowledgeable appraiser on her own site and on Youtube, learning a lot and enjoying her videos.

She said what my mother taught me these many years ago, you collect good furniture, precious metals including jewelry, and fine art. I love fine art. At the shop I saw a wonderful oil painting still life of flowers. Wowsers. Their prices at The Special Store on art are excellent. Last summer I bought an original watercolor that I personally believe is pretty old. I can tell it's special, whoever the painter was. I have been thinking to have Dr Lori do an online appraisal of it for $59, the next time I have a spare $59 lol.

Anyway, this one was by an artist named Campos. As I looked closer at the price tag, it was listed from the estate sale they bought it from for $325, and Owner Daphne said she'd sell it for $125. Aw, man, out of my league. Back to the pillow.

I had a nice chat with the clerk that's always there, Sherry. She offered me some tea and pound cake but alas, I had to go before my fast diminishing energy drained away completely. She gave me a couple of free range chicken eggs as a parting gift. That shop is part museum, part shop, and part safe zone to just relax. I love it there.



I drove the beautiful route to the next destination, the grand opening of Family Dollar. I watch Kathryn (a Christian lady, married with family) and her DIY thrift videos called Do It On A Dime. She always goes to the Dollar Tree and comes out with interesting ideas to use the things she buys on sale. So I was interested to see what Family Dollar would have. It was not a lot different from Dollar General but it was organized and clean and the aisles were wide, unlike the mess that the Dollar G I usually frequent is in. Their prices were almost the same as Dollar General so I decided not to go out of my way to this store since there is a Dollar General located half a mile from my school or another one an eighth of a mile from my house.

I wound up at Kroger to get groceries. I've been trying Friday nights after school instead of Sunday after church, but the place is crazy busy then so I think I'll abandon that. Not many deals, but I found a few, some for the pantry at school and one or two for me. My meals this week will be veggie soup for lunches, and black bean patties and quinoa bites for dinners. I had planned to use the two free range eggs poached atop gluten free bread this morning, but I forgot to buy the bread! I was so tired by then and the clouds and thunder were rolling in that I just quit and checked out. I was in bed by 9:00.

We are supposed to get wicked storms this weekend, heavy rain and thunder, so I'm happy to be home and ready to clean and then attend to my Bible stuff.

Have a wonderful rest of the weekend everyone.


2 comments:

Grace to You said...

The way you write makes me feel like I'm having a chat with a friend...thanks for that! Considering how often we've moved, it gets lonesome, and having a chat with a friend is a real treat.

Elizabeth Prata said...

awww, you're welcome! thanks for your friendship :) :) :)