Friday, March 08, 2019

Cat on a roof and broken vacuum

By Elizabeth Prata

Who dat?

On a warmish and finally a non-rainy day, I pulled in to my driveway at end of day and parked the car in the garage. Breathing a sigh of relief because the day was done, I turned from sliding the garage door down and heard the cacophony of birds in the 100 foot magnolia. The leafy foliage on the tree is too dense for me to see the birds, but I sure heard them.

I decided to sit under the tree at the picnic table for a while with my camera to see what I could shoot. The birds turned out to be a "murder of crows". Not so sweet or gentle, but they were active and the leaves were rustling as though a 20 knot breeze was blowing through. The birds make the yard so dynamic. Always something to see or hear.

Soon I noticed I was not the only observer of all this activity. A neighborhood cat had climbed on the roof and was just dying to get to the birds, who were staying just out of claw's length.


I watched for a while longer, enjoying the warm sun and cool air. No humidity. No stress. A clean and inviting apartment awaiting. There's something restorative about being outside, listening to the birds, being surprised by a cat on a roof (it wasn't hot tin, though). Foiled, he eventually departed when the crows did. The cat slithered away like smoke and the crows flew over the pasture to the next set of trees in the neighbor's yard.

This afternoon, I did my grocery shopping and I'm settled down in comfy clothes right now. I bought some salmon trimmings, a stuffed crab, two salmon patties, and some tofu for a stir fry as my proteins/main meals. Also got a lot of salad stuff. My vacuum died and my new one ordered from Amazon is due tomorrow, so I have that to look forward to this weekend, sigh. Not so glamorous. With a broken vacuum I could at least NOT vacuum guilt free for a few days, right?

For now though, my pot of black tea in a Noritake Chatham china cup is all I need. Plus the snoozing cats. I feel an early bedtime coming on.


1 comment:

Grace to You said...

My husband and I are not ones to follow fads at all, but for some reason he suggested I adopt a word for this year, and suggested that word be "relax." (a prize for guessing correctly why he might have suggested that lol) I'm trying to take his advice, and I find myself repeating the word at times and it's been helpful. It didn't help today, though...too stressful...but your afternoon in the yard sure would have! Just reading about it made me relax...thanks for that. :)