Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Zucchini patties

By Elizabeth Prata

I've mentioned before that the grocery store where I shop has a reduced area where they put produce. The produce is still really good. Whatever is in the bags they place in that area costs only 99 cents.

The other day I scooped up a bag containing two large zucchini. I mean really large zucchini! You know at garden harvest time the overflow of zucchini is almost a flood. I felt that way with these beauties. My motto is, if I feel I will really use/eat the food, I buy it and think of what to do with it later. I can always think up an idea for the item in front of me, but if I don't have the item, I could have a million ideas but they won't help me fill an empty plate.

I shredded the two zucchinis and put them into the fridge. Later on I stumbled across a zucchini patty recipe and that is what I made of them! I added some flour and an egg, a bit of cheddar cheese (the recipe called for Parmesan but I didn't have that), and a bit of salt. Drop by teaspoons until the desired size, flatten, and cook on medium high heat until crispy.

Yum!


Amateur pro tip: When cooking, always make a bit more. I'll have two tonight and two for lunch tomorrow. Not only is lunch made for tomorrow, but it's packed too.

I had a fried egg and a half potato made into homefries along with the two patties for dinner. The other half of the potato is, you guessed it, for tomorrow.

There are some thunderstorms headed our way. The day has been extremely hot and humid. I have the heating gas guy coming to turn on my heater in 14 days, and yet the air conditioning has been steadily running all day, every day. Sigh. I hope the weather breaks soon, but then again, heavy thunderstorms aren't fun either. I guess I'm never satisfied, eh?

Puffy clouds turn ominously dark as the day wears on. Thunder coming!



4 comments:

Grace to You said...

I love zucchini patties! Would you believe I use them as a substitute for bread on this low carb diet and put cheese between 2 patties for a grilled cheese sandwich? It's actually pretty good. Well, not good like bread, but okay. :)

Elizabeth Prata said...

What a great idea! I do that with gluten free pancakes but I ran out of the gf flour so I'll do that tonight with the remaining patties! thanks :)

Grace to You said...

What did you think of your zucchini sandwich? :)

Elizabeth Prata said...

they were merely OK. My cooking always lacks something. It could have used more of some kind of spice.