Saturday, September 01, 2018

Labor Day Weekend leisure

Once the pressure is off to hurry-hurry and get to work, and if one has no other obligations for a particular Saturday morning, being able to slow down on a holiday weekend is super sweet.

I had my usual cup of coffee. The difference is that I sip instead of gulp. For a treat, I put whipped cream on it. Ahhh. I sink into a slower pace almost right away.


As most people do, I have all the usual chores to do on Saturday. I have laundry plus an extra load because I want to wash the bathroom rugs and the bedspread. I've got vacuuming and cleaning. I want to take apart my thermoses and deep clean the gaskets and plastic that tends to accumulate dirt underneath. (Hint: Immerse in white vinegar, this works great also for hand can openers.)

But for now, I'm writing and sipping and listening to a sermon. I walked around the yard at sunrise, something I enjoy. The yard is pretty, it's quiet, there's a pasture next door. I love seeing greenery and birds and scenery rather than houses or skyscrapers or traffic. I'm definitely a rural gal. Best of all for me would be to live oceanfront, but that is not in the cards for me. So I enjoy instead the undulating grasses rather than ocean waves.

I'll get dressed and have breakfast around 10:00-10:30, usually the limit of my patience with sitting and lounging. I've got sweet potatoes and russet potatoes in the crockpot. I bought some already cooked shrimp so that will be a nice lunch later, on rice noodles, I think.

Here are some of the pics I took this morning in the yard at first rays of light streaming over the yard and next door pasture:





I will write a blog at The End Time for today but my main goal is to read some novels. I have bought a Grisham, and I was thrilled. I thought I'd read all his books, some several times, but I found one I had not read. It is a book of his short stories called "Ford County" which is the fictional county he set many of his books in.

I also renewed my library card and got a Jenny Colgan book. I'd read one of hers this summer, "The Bookshop on the Corner". It was OK. A great first half was diminished by a hurried and scattered second half, but I was intrigued enough to try her again. Not to buy another book, though, so I renewed the Library card. I want to save my pennies for buying theological books.

I borrowed the book "The Cafe By The Sea" which has a sequel called "The Endless Beach". They sound nice, don't they? If The Cafe book is good I'll move on and get the Beach one. That's the great thing about libraries, no wasted money if the book doesn't work out.

I also borrowed a James Patterson, called "Worst Case." He is a crime writer and his stories move fast. That's a lot of reading, especially considering I am still onto Bill Bryson's "Summer of 1927" I'd started in June.

Despite Labor Day holiday weekend being an unofficial marker of fall, the actual weather outside this weekend will be hot. And humid. It won't last a lot longer, but for the next three days I'll be hunkered down inside enjoying the books and my cooking.

On the menu this weekend,

--Shrimp
--Salads (from ready-made kits)
--Orange and green pepper soup
--Refried beans dip with cheese and salsa...or burrito in a wrap
--Fruit: grapes, bananas, strawberries with cottage cheese or yogurt

I'm going a bit lighter this weekend because I don't want to cook lots of food when it's hot. Soon enough I'll be back to the lentils and beans and chilis and so on. The refrieds will come from a can.

Netflix has obtained a movie I've been wanting to see: "Same Kind of Different Than Me". It's supposed to be a Christian-based movie, and family friendly, So I'm excited. Also excited because Netflix has increasingly been disappointing in getting movies I want to see. At last, here is one I'll watch.

Looks to be a good weekend! I hope your holiday weekend, whether it's staycation, real vacation, or working weekend, is a good one too.



No comments: