Saturday, January 14, 2017

Recipe review: Best Avocado Cauliflower Mash

My friend posted a recipe on Facebook. It looked really good so I thought I'd try it! It is a cauliflower patty with mashed avocado on top, with a fried egg on top of that. I like it for each of the three elements in the dish. However, the intent of the dish is that the cauliflower is supposed to be some kind of substitute for toast.

I've seen this trend elsewhere, for example, that the cauliflower is made into some kind of pizza crust. Blaring headlines on Facebook and Twitter proclaim, "You can't tell the difference!" Or, "Tastes super!" I've never believed these kind of headlines. It's illogical. Cauliflower is cauliflower, and toast is toast. Cauliflower is cauliflower, and pizza crust is pizza crust.

But I really like cauliflower. I usually roast it. I'm always looking for new ways to eat stuff so I thought I'd give the patty mash a try. Here are the results. The top three pics are mine and the bottom one is the recipe's For once, mine came out pretty close to the recipe! Bonus!


The recipe says to use a cheese grater to crumble the cauliflower. I have a mini food chopper so I used that. One or two pulses and the cauliflower was made very small. It all came together very quickly which is always a good thing. :)

The tagline for this recipe says,

You're going to want to replace all toast with this delicious, carb-free cauliflower version.

No. No you're not. But if you want a healthy and filling breakfast that comes together pretty quick, Best Avocado Cauliflower Mash is for you!

No comments: