Sunday, January 08, 2017

Pad Thai

I just discovered the Kroger shrimp skewers! There are five fresh large shrimp on a wooden skewer, sold for $1. Woo-hoo!

I had a hankering for Pad Thai. Now that I know they sell shrimp this way I will buy the skewer more often and make Pad Thai more often. That's Thai rice noodles, scallions, tofu, chicken (or shrimp), bean sprouts, an egg, lime, and crushed peanuts. It is a dish that goes together pretty fast because none of he ingredients take a long time to cook. The shrimp cook in minutes and so does the tofu. I don't use chicken.

You put the rice noodles in warm water and soak them until they are soft. I speed this up by turning the stove on low. Use a wok if you have it, I don't so I use a large saute pan. Heat oil and toss the tofu you've cubed into it, and the scallions and shrimp or chicken. I forgot to buy scallions so I threw in some roasted greenbeans I'd made the day before, just to have some green in it. Kroger doesn't sell alfalfa or mung bean sprouts. :( You can make a sauce which uses a lot of ingredients, or you can buy pad Thai sauce pre-made, which is what I like to do. Add the sauce to taste. A little goes a long way.

Put pad Thai mixture in a bowl, sprinkle lime juice over it, a lot of juice! I think the lime juice makes it. Sprinkle crushed peanuts over it. Eat immediately. Enjoy!





5 comments:

Grace to You said...

Five shrimp for a dollar?? That's incredible!

I love Pad Thai. I made it from scratch years ago but I never perfected it and gave up trying because there was an excellent Thai restaurant nearby. Now there's not...I think I'll go back to experimenting. Necessity is the mother of invention! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I love Pad Thai! I don't like peanuts on it, but you're right, the lime juice totally makes it. Hope you enjoyed it - your plate full looks delicious!

-Carolyn

Unknown said...

Thats great,,,, Learning to cook on my own... hehe Thanks... I did study culinary but somehow I prefer to use instinct over a cookbook...

Grace to You said...

I love, love, love Pad Thai. I tried making it years ago but I never perfected the sauce. We live just one block from a Thai restaurant here and I'm so happy about that. :)

Elizabeth Prata said...

I used to make my own sauce using all the ingredients and it came out good, but it's complicated and uses a lot of expensive ingredients. This time I bought tamarind/Pad Thai sauce at Kroger, lol. Living next to a Thai restaurant sounds delightful!!! Even better.