Monday, June 23, 2014

Incompetence in the kitchen doesn't daunt me

I made a casserole this morning. Here was the original recipe:

Zucchini Onion Pie Recipe
3 eggs
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 cups sliced zucchini
1 cup biscuit/baking mix
1 small onion, chopped

Directions:
In a large bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients. Stir in the zucchini, baking mix and onion. Pour into a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Bake at 350° for 25-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 6 servings.

I didn't have zucchini but I had yellow squash to use up.

I didn't have 3 cups of squash though, so I substituted broccoli to make up the difference.

I didn't have garlic.

I didn't have parsley.

I didn't have canola oil, but I did have vegetable oil.

I had parmesan cheese but not quite 1 cup. I added pimento-cheddar cheese I needed to use up to make the difference.

I didn't have biscuit/baking mix but I had pancake mix ("Just add water!") so I used that.

I forgot the eggs.

I made so many substantive changes that I don't think I can quite call what came out as "Zucchini Onion Pie," but it sure was tasty!

Original recipe pie
Massively Changed Pie





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! You should call your cooking posts, "Improv in the Kitchen with Elizabeth". Glad it turned out so delicious.

-Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Ooo, is that a sun beam I see in the header. I love those :)

Elizabeth Prata said...

thanks Carolyn! Anonymous, it is a sun dog! Cool, huh! It was accompanied by two halos, one on one side of the sun and another with its own sun dog on the other.

I saw it while on recess duty, and I ran to get my camera. They were so low, and so big that I had to lie down on the ground and shoot up. Even at that, I could only get one halo in the photo at a time.

All the kids were laughing and amazed, yelling, "Mrs Prata! Why are you on the ground!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Elizbeth, anon beat me to it - I love your new header! I also like the blue font for your titles of each blog post.

-Carolyn