Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hello from a neighbor

I had a long week but a good week. Kids keep me going, they are so wonderful. I work at the AfterSchool program so by the time Friday rolls around, I am really ready to get home at 6:00! As I pulled into the driveway, the family that had moved in to the house my apartment is attached to was outside enjoying the 80-degree weather. A working mom, her teenage daughter and her 4-year-old daughter live there, and they were playing on the sunshine-y lawn. Both daughters were in bathing suits and the mom was swinging on the bench-swing under the arbor. It was a nice, domestic scene and I appreciated it for what it was. I turned off the car and opened the driver's seat door.

As I stepped out I was startled by the appearance of the 4 year old. She had padded over quickly, and quietly.

What are you doing?
I'm getting out of the car.
Why?
Because it is time to come home from work.
Why?
Because after you work, you come home.
Why?
So that I can get out of the car and talk to you.
Oh. Hey, do you like my bathing soup?
Yes, I like your bathing soup a lot. It's cute.
Okaybye.
And she ran off.

Isn't that what we all want? We want to understand the actions of the people around us. We want to connect. We want to be noticed. We want a compliment. Kids do it crudely but more honestly. Adults do it  sophisticatedly but less honestly. But it is what we all want.

It was a nice way to be greeted when I got home. What a sweet, neighborly hello.

No comments: