Saturday, December 14, 2019

Weekend plans

By Elizabeth Prata



My Christmas card collection. People do still send cards, which is nice. Who doesn't love getting actual postal mail? I do.

The weather has been cold, as one might expect at any time of year on the US, even the deep south. Yesterday was a 42-degree frigid hard rain, for me, the worst kind of weather. So I had the electric kettle going all day and pots of tea continually. Mmm.

My two week school break is coming Friday and I plan to do several things, one of them being Netflix. I've been enjoying two shows lately, a relief to find something that is interesting AND clean.

One is a British show called The Repair Shop. Expert craftsmen from all over Britain repair heirlooms and antiques in this quiet, gentle program. Grandma's piano stool, grandpa's stopwatch, a daffodil phone... The narrator gives a little history of each item, the craftsmen discuss how best to restore it or talk of the challenges with taking it apart, and show them fixing the item.

It's heartwarming, because the owner, usually a woman, usually cries when she re-appears and sees her precious item restored to its former glory. "Oh, grandma would love this!" or "It brings back such memories of my childhood!" The voice over narration is measured and the music between scenes is gentle. Camera work lovingly lingers on the barn shop and the items under repair, so no quick cuts or jarring movements. Recommended.

Also on Netflix is Virgin River. This show, as I read up on, received little promotion from Netflix, but fans have found it anyway. It is a Netflix original based on the books of the same name by Robyn Carr. It is distinctly Hallmark-esque. The storyline will be familiar to ladies who have seen Chesapeake Shores or Cedar Cove or When Calls the Heart. A woman with a hidden emotional wound moves from big city to small, picturesque town (usually the Pacific NW), meets hunky guy, also with hidden wounds, finds she is a fish out of water, hunky guy guides her in ways of small town, and as she settles in, they develop a relationship over time. Slowly.

It stars Annette O'Toole and Tim Matheson as the secondary characters. Main characters are Alexandra Breckinridge and Martin Henderson. A good show. I've seen 6 episodes of 10 and I have not heard a swear, seen cleavage, or had to fast forward through anything lascivious or untoward. I believe a season 2 filming is already underway.

The rain is tapering off and it's supposed to be sunny, calm, with temps in the mid 50s. Sounds pleasant. I will make some lentil soup, open faced tuna melts, eggplant with penne, and cut up some kiwi and oranges for a fruit salad. Should do me for the week.

Books underway are:


I also pulled from my 'easy reading' shelf at home the Nora Roberts book The Reef. I have not read anything of Roberts, who is considered a decent beach read or airport author. That's what I want, after heavy reading I want something lighter. The blurb goes:

A marine archaeologist and a salvager join forces to search for a legendary treasure in this novel that takes readers to the depths of the Caribbean...

I'm up for anything ocean related so hopefully it will be good. If not, well, the book was only 50 cents so I'm not gonna be tore up about it, as goes the vernacular down south!

I hope you have a marvelous weekend and a nice week ahead. Can you believe Christmas is less than two weeks away? 2020 will be here before you know it.


No comments: