Thursday, May 30, 2019

Summer (Magazine) Reading

By Elizabeth Prata

I started my Summer Reading Plan on Monday and it's going well. It like it, which means I will probably follow it all the way to the end of summer, like I did last summer. It gives structure to my days, and helps me feel like I accomplished something. Plus, the books are interesting. Really interesting!

In between the stack of books I am reading, I also have a stack of magazines I haven't gotten to. My plan was to read the magazines with coffee on my patio in the mornings, before it got too hot. (The patio is concrete). I wanted to get a little sun on my face and perhaps turn from Casper the Ghost to light brown Italian olive picker. I also planned to clip my succulents and maybe re-pot a few of them. That WAS the plan. Georgia weather had different ideas.

It's been August-hot here since mid-May. Unusually hot temps have seared the state and smashed records. So, I am inside. That is quite all right. I am still having a wonderful summer and enjoying the time off. I feel for the folks in the middle of the country enduring the thunderstorms and tornadoes.

I do hope it rains soon. The once lush spring grass has withered and turned brown, as it will do without water When spring sprung, it seemed as if the green velvet carpet over the pastures would last forever. But the Bible says it will wither. The flowers will fade. (Isaiah 40:8). It happened fast, though. I know the grass will bounce back when the rain does come.

Meanwhile, I have plenty to read. :)




No comments: