Friday, May 24, 2019

Summer is finally here

By Elizabeth Prata

Summer vacation seems like one long string of days with no weekend.



The last day of school for the kids was Tuesday at noon, and for staff around 1:00 today. Saturday I'd planned on attending a wedding, but I currently have pneumonia, so that's out. So is my church service I attend on Sunday. Monday, Lord willing, if I feel better I will kick off my summer break with a Reading Plan and a Photo A Day series.

Last summer I posted a picture a day from my tiny environs of the small apartment and yard. It was a challenge to myself to be creative and look with a new eye to things I see every day. I don't have exotic locations to go to or interest in selfies or particularly good people skills enough to take street photog. So year before last I took a bunch of pictures of macro subjects. Last year was simply a pic a day to tell the story of the highlight of my day. This year I might go for a theme. Things that Look Like Letters. Or, Metal. Or, Monochrome. Or, Diptych collages. I liked the ideas in this Creative Idea series.
This website states, "Many budding photographers find that their work takes a distinctive leap forward once they start working on a photo series instead of just standalone images. This is because a well-conceived photo series will provide focus and naturally guide the photographer towards uncovering and defining their own distinctive style. This kind of project is excellent for those looking to create a portfolio or Instagram feed with a strong, cohesive look.
Summer is a good time to expand my creativity. I'll be well rested and have no work to go to. Perfect time to widen those photography horizons. If I can stay out of the hospital.

I've had pneumonia several times over the years, as well as an almost annual bronchitis until I left teaching. Then the colds and bronchitis and pneumonia stopped. I've been back to education for ten years now and though the first few years I had successive sinus infections, the last five or so years have been relatively healthy. I've only had to take a day or two off work all year. So I thought I was done with all that. Silly me.

At least the timing is good! School was essentially done and I have 9 weeks to rest and recover.

Now that's enough of that. No one wants to hear of an old lady's medical problems, lol.

Summer is here, the Memorial Day weekend is upon us. I hope you all have fun, good BBQ's in the back yard, pools, beaches, books, fireflies, long-off rumbles of thunder, and peace.

But remember the reason for the holiday. Men and women who fought for America and gave their lives, so that we may have freedom to speak, assemble, vote, and...pursue happiness. As you pursue it this weekend give a prayer to families who are mourning a military loved one.

Happy Summer!


2 comments:

Grace to You said...

Are you beginning to feel better?

Elizabeth Prata said...

Thanks for asking! It's a battle, forward, retreat...mostly it depends on whether I have sustainable ozygen level in my blood. I'll know for sure on Tuesday when I go back to the Doc. :)