Friday, November 16, 2018

A week off!

By Elizabeth Prata

Thanksgiving is almost here. We have so much to be grateful for. I know I do.

I live in a charming apartment conveniently located to my work. I have work, and it's good work, too. My colleagues and bosses are terrific. I've got friends, and one of them just yesterday asked me to come to her family Thanksgiving feast. I have books, pets, enough money to live on. No extra, but enough. Thus, monthly I'm reminded of the Lord's provision as I make ends meet. A great church and a loving church family with wise, diligent, and approachable elders. What more could a person want? What more?

Salvation. I am in Jesus, and I have all. I am rich, satisfied, joyful, content.

Today after school began an entire week off! I'm massively excited. I bought a Sinclair Ferguson Advent devotional book called Love Came Down at Christmas that I'm very much looking forward to reading. I also want to finish some of my other books, Gerstner on Edwards' Heaven & Hell, Grisham's Ford County (short stories) and a new book I bought called Rebels and Renegades: A Chronology of Social and Political Dissent in the United States by Neil Hamilton.

Of course all this will be accompanied by pots of tea, fresh muffins, and some soup. The lentil and rice soup I've made recently has come out good. It restored my like of brown lentils that had been tending toward dislike.

It will be nice to take out the Christmas decorations and hang them, though there aren't many. I found some precious vintage hand painted ornaments at the Special Store last year and I hung those from the bookcase. The cat, you see, not Bert but Murray, is intensely interested in anything new, hanging, or precious. He would wipe them out with one cat-swipe, so I have to hang them in ways he can't get to them. The same with the bough that lights up- it's what I use for my tree.

A friend had sent me a Jacquie Lawson eCard for Thanksgiving. Jacquie Lawson stuff is really good. The short video with her personal message at the end infused me with a tremendous sense of peace and well being. What is there to complain about, really? What is there to steal our joy? If we are in Christ, the answer is nothing. We have all.

I came home today after school ready to enjoy the week off. I inaugurated my school vacation with a pot of tea. The teacup is made by Nasco ( a Japanese company) and the pattern is Springtime. It's mid-century. The pot is Homer Laughlin Cavalier Eggshell- Spring Song pattern. It's 1950s also.


Just after I received the card and watched the little video and read the message, I searched for the hymn Rock of Ages on Youtube. I'd been hearing it all night in my head. That's usually for a reason. I found this rendition and I love it. I hope you do too.

I pray your travels are smooth, your family is loving, and your day off is relaxing. Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your holiday.








No comments: