Monday, July 02, 2018

Results of my cooking today

I cooked today. My commitment to fresh food with no preservatives means I have to cook anything I want to eat. I can't just yank open the fridge door or the cupboard and grab something in a bag. Needing to be gluten free, I can't slap together a sandwich either.

Come with me on a tour through my kitchen today

I made for breakfast gluten free pancakes with strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream. I also drizzled a light amount of honey. No syrup. I don't favor a lot of sweetness at once. The Namaste Perfect Flour blend makes light and fluffy pancakes, so they didn't really need a lot extra on top.



I had to turn on the oven. Ugh I hate to do it during the summer, but what are you going to do? I need to make food. I had bought dried chick peas, hoping they would be less expensive than canned and devoid of the usual preservatives that are usually in cans. I cooked them in the crock pot for two hours in high. I drained and rinsed them in cold water, then after dumping them out onto a large cookie sheet, I patted them dry, removing any of the paper shells that came off. I poured about 2 tablespoons of oil over them and a slight bit of salt. I swished the sheet around so the chick peas got covered, and popped into the oven at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes. I added more salt and spices at the end. Adding them at the beginning tends to burn the spice onto the chick pea. My preference is curry powder, but you can add any spice to it.




I cut up some broccoli and put it back into the plastic bag  and added a bit of oil. Hold the top of the bag closed, and shake so the broccoli is covered in oil. Spread in a baking dish and add salt to taste. I repeated with the zucchini, and didn't want to dirty another pan so I put them together. When the edges of the broccoli are crisply they are done





Eggplants: friends gave me some eggplants from their garden. I cut them into rounds about 1/4 inch thick. I used to remove the skin but I don't d that any more. This dish is labor intensive to I skip the peeling now. I usually dredge them in milk-egg mixture but this time just the milk. Then dredge n gluten free flour. I cook on baking sheets at 400, turning once when they are brown and crisply, usually about 7 or 8 minutes. Skipping the egg this time was a mistake I think. The flour didn't stay attached that well to the eggplant. Maybe it was the fact it was gluten free flour this time. I don't know. They still came out yummy. When you put them into the fridge, they soften but a couple of minutes n my hot griddle crisps them right up again.



I ate a green salad for lunch with sliced radishes and olives (anything fermented is supposed to be a good probiotic). I had several of the eggplant rounds on the side.





The purple drink was another experiment. It was my snack today. Silken tofu was on way markdown so I bought it. I know it's supposed to be good for puddings and smoothies and the like. I looked for a recipe but for some reason they all had cocoa as an ingredient. I don't want cocoa, I don't have cocoa, and I did not want to go buy cocoa. I made up my own recipe.

I cut up a plum and and a nectarine, added some tofu and a glug of plain yogurt. I topped it with a bit of whipped cream and some crushed almonds. It was delicious.




I ended the day with dinner of sauted shrimp atop quinoa and green beans, and half of a seared potato. I'd cooked the potatoes in the crock pot earlier this morning. They come out pillowy soft, I love crockpot potatoes. Just wash the whole potato, put it in the crock, add about an inch of water, cover and cook on high. That's it. No need even to poke holes in the potato. I make a bunch and put them in the fridge to make home fries with, or add cubed to soup, or potato salad, any old way.

The shrimp were, of course, on waaaaay markdown. $3.15 for 16 mid-sized, deveined shrimp.I brought them home and cooked them immediately. I eat five at a time, so that will be three meals. If I can have a protein for $1 per serving or less, that is good. Tomorrow I'm going to have some of the shrimp in a pad Thai with rice noodles and the rest of the green beans. When I cook, I cook more than I need for that serving so as to save electricity and have some kind of ready-made food around. Or to use in leftovers.




I didn't end up boiling the red lentils, I'll do that tomorrow and make a kale-red lentil salad. I have to say, I have not had any gut issues since Friday when I went shopping.

So that will keep me a good while. I've got spinach and kale in the fridge, along with some cherries, plums, and strawberries, and a few more radishes and celery rolling around. I'm trying to go two weeks between grocery shopping forays. We'll see.



No comments: