Saturday, May 12, 2018

A Crafting Friday Night (and Saturday morning)

The urge to craft and make things comes and cannot be denied, lol. I like making bookmarks. They're smaller. This is good because the larger page is more intimidating. The blank page when I'm writing doesn't bother me at all, ever. But the blank page when making arts or crafts is highly daunting! I'm not that creative with making things. There seems to be a disconnect between my mind's eye imagination in seeing, and my hands in producing it. What I produce is amateurish, and only that, after a struggle.

Anyway, last night I made bookmarks from my photos, and overlaid scripture on them. Then I laminate. I've been dissatisfied, though, in the results. I can't quite get the size right. Sometimes they come out too skinny and other times too fat. These two came out not-horrible.


I finally got a clue and searched online for a bookmark template. I found one on Teachers Pay Teachers, for free.


The next challenge was to figure out how to insert the clip art, photos, or pictures that I want, into the bookmark while keeping the shape. Hmmm. Just copying and pasting didn't work. After clicking around some, I found that if you click the image, then click 'Fill' and then follow the pop-up menu to where or what you want to fill the shape with, it will work. In my case, I had prepared some clips of work I'd already done.

When I paint or collage or stencil, I then scan the finished product into the computer, thus digitizing it. So I had a number of items from which to clip sections from and insert into the shapes above.


From left to right: an acrylic painting, a color pencil stencil with digital clip art overlaid, a watercolor, a stenciled and painted collage, a paper collage with stencil on top. All art is by moi.

Then the job is to print out. I forgot that when printing pictures from Word I need to lighten it in the edit section, so, they came out a bit dark. I used regular paper and I think photo paper would make it a little sharper. Something went wrong with the last bookmark and there is no black line border all of a sudden, but those are the vagaries of printing. If I make the margins smaller the whole thing goes funky. So, I'll figure that out next time. I just need to cut out this last batch. Overall, I'm pleased. I like the different shapes of the bookmarks, it makes them more interesting I think.



I plan on attending the Annual Winterville Marigold Festival later this morning with a friend. I'll be visiting and also photo taking at this charming festival held in a small and pretty town.

I might be so jazzed up that I come home and have a blast processing my photos and maybe make more bookmarks. Or the predicted heat might make me decide to lay down with the kitties and take a nap, falling asleep listening to birds out my window. Anyway, it seems to be a good day ahead. I hope it is for you too!



7 comments:

Grace to You said...

How cool that you figured out how to do that! I love that these are made of your own art. Have you thought of selling your work? I would buy one if you would let me.

Elizabeth Prata said...

Thank you! You're too kind. Send me your address again?

Grace to You said...

Only if you tell me how to buy a bookmark. :)

Grace to You said...

I have your email address (if it hasn't changed in the last few years) - do you have a paypal acct I could send a payment through? I think your art is worth buying!

Elizabeth Prata said...

Thank you for saying so! That's quite a compliment. The other blog (www.the-end-time.blogspot.com) has a donate button that goes to PayPal, but I really don't want to sell any of the stuff I make. Most of the material was given to me, even the photo paper was a gift and even the laminating paper I bought for a song at a second hand store! I am more than happy to send you some that you like, more than happy. I insist.

Grace to You said...

If you insist, I would love one of the bookmarks with the sun in the top left corner - I love the vibrant colors! Thank you!!

Elizabeth Prata said...

GREAT! Please send me the particulars again. You have my email address...