Saturday, October 28, 2017

The Many Changing Moods of a Fall Sunrise

It's late fall in Georgia, which means we still have warm temperatures, still have birds in the air, and still have leaves on the trees. There are even flowers blooming here and there. It will eventually change, of course. We'll have cold weather, frost, dark and rainy days, and sometimes even snow. But the leisurely fall is something I always mourned the absence of when I lived in Maine for 30 years. Fall in Maine is more of a sprint, a short burst of color and low humidity with startlingly azure skies. Then poof, it's gone. Winter settles in quickly and depressingly. Sunshine is in short supply. The dark lasts most of every day. Winter is a lengthy season. Fall seems to be one of the shortest.

However, in Georgia, the seasons seem equally spread out in the calendar. Fall is one among four other seasons that have their time. And what a time. I do miss the vividness of the foliage in New England. Leaves in their yellows, reds, oranges, and golds are extremely bright and lovely to look at. The foliage in New England in Fall is unparalleled.

But with it comes harsh temperatures that force one to bundle up in the shuddering, teeth chattering, snow and sleet scraping, snow tires swap, boots clomping, feet stomping, cabin fever cold.

Not so here. A few cold days may be followed by a week of mild. The penetrating and settling-in frigidity of a months long New England Winter is absent and instead we have a pleasing array of landscapes and temperatures, with outdoor activities still a possibility throughout.

I experienced a gorgeous sunrise this morning. I went out in just my sweats and shirt and walked up the street a bit taking photos of these scenes. No frost came out of my mouth. No shiver passed over my body. I was in 54 comfortable degrees, ambling around the property with my walking stick, in the pure quiet (except for the hearty and vigorously cockadoodledoing rooster).

The weather has a lot to do with mood. When I see the impressive and dramatic skies, I think of my Lord who created it. I come back inside to RefNet.fm and listen to majestic hymns, feeling warm because He has given me a comfortable home, well-appointed. This has been a delightful morning, and I'm grateful.

These scenes are at my home, within a ten minute span. The Changing Moods of Sunrise in Georgia!











4 comments:

Grace to You said...

Wow, Elizabeth, the photos of yellow are breath-taking - literally! And such an incredible contrast with the blues and purples.

Having lived in the South and Midwest all my life until moving to Maine, I had never before seen the hard work required to get ready for winter that Mainers are well acquainted with, and I loved them and respected them for it. It took me several falls to remember that if I didn't get the yard work done before it started snowing, it wouldn't get done till spring, when it was a yucky mess. I really loved the busyness of preparation that was fall in New England. But then, I loved the winters, so I was excited for what was ahead. Which didn't make me very popular with the neighbors. :)

On a side note, we had snow here on October 9, and again this week, so we're ahead of Maine this year! :D

Elizabeth Prata said...

Thanks about the photos! They're all untouched and have no filter. When I saw the pinks I scrambled to grab my camera and in unusual speed for me, hightailed it outside before it was all gone!

I hadn't thought of the busyness to prepare for the winter in a while, but your comment brought it all back. Laying in hay or bags of raked leaves around the foundation, chopping and hauling wood to restock the wood pile, covering plants, clearing gutters soon to be filled with snow and ice, adding emergency supplies to the car trunk, cleaning the generator, getting a new snow shovel...yup, it was busy all right!! I'm glad you love winter. Wow snow already. Since you love it, then good for you!

Grace to You said...

The problem with Colorado is the snow melts, but the benefit is if I don't get the yardwork done in time, it's not a crisis, so there's that. :)

Anonymous said...

So beautiful, Elizabeth. Thanks for sharing. One can't help but think of our Creator!