Friday, October 29, 2010

A day off

Today was a holiday from school, a "Fall Break." This three-day weekend my was completely welcome and I relished every bit of first day off. Though I needed to accomplish a BUNCH of errands, it still was a great day.

Georgia allows early voting, so I did my civic duty this morning and while waiting in the short line, happily ran into a couple of friends at the polls. While I was at Town Hall I decided to pay my excise tax even though it wasn't due for 6 weeks. Opening the door, I saw that the Tax and Tag room had been transformed into a haunted house. The lights were off and tiny twinkle-lights were the only illumination. All the walls had been covered with Halloween decorations to a very great extent and hanging from the ceiling were spiders and the like. The workers were dressed up as dead country singers, such as Dottie West and Patsy Cline. One wall even sported a sheet covered in fake dripping blood and bloody skeleton handprints. I found the whole thing tasteless and ridiculous. Aside from my belief in Halloween being a satanic holiday, the lengths they went to to transform the room was over the top. It's aggravating enough to have to pay taxes on a 17-year-old car, but to see the workers playing on my dime irked me to no end.

I bought a book of stamps at the PO because I work every day till 6:00 and can never get to the PO while it's open, except for a few hours on Saturday. If I want to send a sympathy card or thank you card I'm out of luck for up to a week. So now I'm prepared.

I got three new novels at the Library and had a pleasant conversation with the Librarian, and got groceries at the Dollar Store and also fresh goods at the regular grocery store. I plan to make granola bars and two broccoli quiches tomorrow and I'm looking forward to the homey satisfaction that cooking a good meal provides.

Another trip to the other Post Office to pick up books I'd ordered finished the rounds in town. I got Pilgrim's Progress and once home, ordered a couple more: John MacArthur's "Because the Time is Near", and Warfield's "Counterfeit Miracles". I'm looking forward to the opportunity for a little heavier reading during the next break, the week off at Thanksgiving.

A nap completed the ensemble, lol, and my day off was pretty great.

No comments: