Sunday, August 25, 2019

Food Prep this week: August 26-30

By Elizabeth Prata

How has your weekend been? Busy? I use the weekend to prepare for the week, so it's not really two days off, except for church. It's still a treadmill. If I let go for a moment, I'm behind all week. Do you feel that way?

Friday nights I'm pretty tired. At the beginning of the school year, coming off 8-9 weeks of straight rest, it's a Mt. Everest of a climb to get back into routine. On Friday nights I'm good for nothing, except staring numbly out the window, uncomprehending and body aching as if I have the flu.

Saturdays at the beginning of the year take me usually until 3:00 in the afternoon or so to 'come to'. That's not to say that I do nothing. Indeed, I get up between 5:30 and 6:00 am and get to work writing 5 blogs for the week and creating 5 scripture pictures for the week. I like to have them ready to publish when I arise on weekday mornings at 5:00.

As I study the Bible during the week, or listen to lessons or sermons, I plop ideas, verses, and information & links into drafts. Saturday mornings are when I flesh these out into completed essays. My goal is to encourage and to teach women, and to keep myself in the word, since I process things by writing.

I usually work on this until I get mentally tired, about 1:00 or 2:00. Then I take a nap. When I awaken at 3:00, I feel like myself again. I usually study my lessons from The Master's Seminary. I'm working toward a certificate in Sound Doctrine. I might feel like myself (body aches gone), mentally more alert. But I'm still way physically tired and don't do many chores.

This leaves laundry, vacuuming, change sheets, and food prep to Sunday...so it becomes not a day of rest. But that will happen soon, as I move more chores to Saturday when I'm feeling less tired and gain equilibrium again.

Food prep this week!

Red lentil soup with mushrooms, carrots, and tomatoes. This will be lunch every day.

Types of lentils. Photo The Kitchn, link to article below


Last week I had brown lentil soup. What's the difference between the types of lentils? The folks at The Kitchn explain, sharing some recipes too. Lentils are actually not a bean, or a pea, but are a pulse. Pulses are related to beans and peas. I prefer the red lentil because they have just as much protein and fiber, are a bit sweeter than the brown, and they turn to mush and thus, thicken the soup. I like thick soups.
  • Blackened Tilapia (2 servings). I bought one large, seasoned piece and cut it in half to make 2 servings
  • Turkey sandwiches
  • Green Beans with tofu and peanuts sauted in soy sauce.
  • Eggplant-mushroom saute
  • Kale with mushrooms (cold and hot; salad, and sauted)
  • Hummus with veggies.
  • Strawberries. LOL, I bought 3 pounds so that will be my main fruit for dessert and snacks
I hope you all have a great Sunday, hopefully worshiping the Lord. Our church begins at 3:00 (a new Sunday School series begins next week, so that will be moved back to 2:00). I enjoy the mornings preparing for church and usually like to keep the morning clear to do just that. Have a super week ahead!



3 comments:

Timelesslady said...

I love lentils...they always leave me feeling healthy in every way.

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,

Now that I've caught up on all your posts since mid June...

Your comment about having so much exhaustion and pain caught my eye:

"On Friday nights I'm good for nothing, except staring numbly out the window, uncomprehending and body aching as if I have the flu. Saturdays at the beginning of the year take me usually until 3:00 in the afternoon or so to 'come to'. "

You also mentioned elsewhere that you have IBS and have seen a doctor for the low-FODMAP diet, which has helped.

The pain... the fatigue... plus the IBS... makes me think "fibromyalgia".

Maybe something to ask your doctor about?

-Carolyn

PS - I don't remember if I commented on these or not (at this blog or your End Time), but I'm thankful you recovered from the pneumonia, and very sorry for your loss of Bert.

Elizabeth Prata said...

Thank you very much for the sympathy and the prayers and the encouragement, Carolyn.