Saturday, July 06, 2019

Mid-century Modern Mania

By Elizabeth Prata

Everything old is new again. I heard that every 40 years or so clothing fashions come back around (coincidentally the length of time of 1 generation). I've seen it in every decade. I'm seeing the 1970s fashions coming back now.

Design that seemed cool during its time was soon reviled as the world moved on from it, charged with being old and clunky. After a while it was revived as vintage, cool, and freshened up again. This cycle applies also to any kind of design, not just fashion.

I am currently in love with mid-century modern design. I, along with millions of others, that is, it's a huge design trend right now. I never said I was ahead of the trend or even cutting edge...lol. I have a few teacups Mid-century modern design, and my kitchen table is one of those Formica topped, chrome typed you see in 1950s diners.

Mid-century design is characterized by
The enduring popularity of the Mid-Century Modern style is based on many factors. It gave us clean lines, gentle organic curves, a love for different materials and designers that are idolized even today.
While there is some disagreement about when the period started, it roughly lasted from the mid-1930s to mid-1960s. The timeless quality of the style, however, continues to appeal to today's homeowners. This style grew in America based on earlier styles such as Bauhaus which began in Germany, and the International style, which grew from the Bauhaus style in America.
I love mid-century so much because these distinguishing features of the design are me in a nutshell.
The distinguishing features of this style consist of a classic, understated look, and clean lines with minimal fuss.
Functionality is important, as form follows function
Uncluttered and sleek lines with both organic and geometric forms
Minimal ornamentation
An exploration of different traditional as well as non-traditional materials
The juxtaposition of different, and sometimes contrasting materials
Here is a contemporary version of the mid-century design style:


source



Now, when it comes to collecting Mid-century, the items are very expensive. I lucked out getting my table, it was $20 at a yard sale 18 years ago. I knew then it was a bargain, and I bought it. I had no room to put it in the apartment at the time, but I kept it in storage until I did. I love it because of its graceful lines and also its size, perfect for me.

And then I'd obtained a whole dish set including teacups and saucers. The company is Vernonware and the pattern is Raffia, (produced 1953) unearthed and brought to the public's attention again when seen in the famously mid-century fashionable Mad Men tv show (the show spurred the revival of mid-century).


So how can I get my mid-century fix since I can't afford an Eames chair? ($6,000-$9,000?). Book covers.

Do a quick search for mid-century design for books and you get this:



The strong graphics are evident as are the bold colors and geometry, typical of the era. Much of the material in the non-fiction books is outdated now, so since I won't be reading the books, I'd rip the covers off and make a collage, or frame them, or somehow incorporate them into my apartment. It will be fun to keep an eye out for mid-century books at book sales and vintage stores, and having bought them at a low price I will not feel bad about ripping the covers off to upcycle them and bring them back to glorious design life.

What do you think? Do you have a favorite design era you're currently entranced with?

--------------------------------------------------

Further Reading


Why the world is obsessed with mid-century design

Pinterest Board of mid-century design on book covers

Wrap your mind around Mid-Century Modern design
The disciplines that first come to mind when hearing the phrase "mid-century modern design" are furniture, architecture, industrial design and fashion. However, Mid-Mod had a massive influence on graphic design and typography. The first examples of these were initially seen through illustrated advertisements, illustrated book covers, and the postcards and signage of the mid-century.




No comments: