Friday, August 10, 2018

Lemon myrtle tea and spider lilies

By Elizabeth Prata

It's been a hot week here in northeast Georgia, but that is to be expected. It's August, in Georgia. I look forward to pumpkins, clear nights, no humidity, lap blankets, open windows, and cider.

Meanwhile, after a long day after my car's been in the hot parking lot, when I get into it to go home the seat belt buckle scorches my hands. The steering wheel is too hot to touch. The air in the car is so oven-like it's hard to breathe. The air outside the car is like walking through a wet shower curtain. But enough of the joys of living in Georgia in August.

This first week of school with the kids was terrific. They are cute kiddos and they seemed to settle into the routine pretty well. For a while it truly was herding cats. But cute cats.

I came home with take-out and sank gratefully into my kitchen chair in the air conditioning, and then turned to my stash of tea to select a dessert beverage. I selected a new tea I just got in this week, Lemon Myrtle from Boh Teas in Malaysia. Lemon Myrtle has a high citrus content. It is made from the lemon myrtle plant's leaves, (Backhousia citriodora) which are native to Australia. As with most herbal teas, it has various healthful properties and it also tastes good! I am also going to try this as an iced tea.

Tomorrow I'll do my usual ministry duties: write a blog or two or three, prepare scripture pictures to post this week, answer emails, clean out my laptop folders, etc. I'll also do the usual chores, and cooking on Sunday. I'll read. I plan to play with some photos I took on Thursday around the yard, of some pretty flowers called red spider lily (of the amaryllis family). Here is a preview:





I love that there are flowers in the yard. In addition to the spider lily we have crepe myrtle too, and morning glories.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. :)


3 comments:

Grace to You said...

I've never seen flowers like that before - they're beautiful! Can't wait to see what you do with the photos. Hope your weekend is lovely.

Elizabeth Prata said...

They pop up after a late summer rain and into the early fall. I understand they are planted from bulbs but these just are scattered around everywhere. This year there seems to be more. WHen the mower comes they are cut down but pop up again pretty quickly. I like them. In Georgia there is always a surprise flower popping up somewhere for most of the year.

Hope your weekend is good as well

Elizabeth Prata said...

PS - I enjoyed the Lemon Myrtle tea. I drank it plain but the box says with a bit of honey is good too with a splash of cream. Either way it was a good tea.