Friday, April 06, 2018

Murray's napping routine

When I'm home on weekends or on Spring Break, Murray, my younger cat, has a routine. He likes to arise with me from bed, where he sleeps at my feet atop the covers. I feed him and Bert in the morning so they enjoy their breakfast. Murray is an active cat and he marauds all night. He goes from window to window, spying out the nocturnal animals. he checks all the corners, crunched up leaves he might find on the rug or on my shoe I'd tracked in from outside, or chase moths or even invisible insects only he can see. He plays with his ball. I find it in different locations in the house.

But after breakfast, he's tired. He wants to be with me some more though, which is wonderful. As sit down at the table where my laptop is, with my coffee, he leaps on the table and lays down in the cat bed I have there behind the computer. He gazes at me a while (I feel so adored!) and then he curls up and naps.

I browse the internet, type, and read. He snores. It's nice.

Murray has always enjoyed sleeping under the bed covers. He likes his head covered. Sometimes he snugs his head under my arm, or pushed it up under my hand. But the bed is his favorite. Strangely, he will not sleep in or on the bed when it is not made. He lies the covers to be flat. If I linger at the table too long and he has decided to go to bed, he makes some noise or gets off the table and twirls around my feet. I know what it means: Make the bed!

I get up from my chair and head toward the bedroom. He is ahead of me. He sits under the headboard watching and waiting while I make the bed up. When I'm done, he noses his head under the fringe hanging down and then noses his head under the sheet. He jumps up and chooses which end to sleep in. Sometimes he chooses the foot of the bed, where an additional throw carries extra weight for snugness, or sometimes he chooses to snuggle up next to the pillow.

In any case, he will stay there all day until around 4:00 when he leaps down to take a drink of water from his bowl, and greet the world again.

Cats are so particular about what they like and their routines. I love Murray. He is a good cat.



I don't know what the difference was between being one foot
to the left or to the right, but it makes a difference to Murray,
who always chooses more toward the wall.



2 comments:

Grace to You said...

I had a cat and a dog years ago and I miss the cat far more than the dog. He had so much personality, and I admit, I felt more honored that he liked me than that the dog did. :)

Anonymous said...

Boy hasn't he come a long way from the starving, shivering little guy you found outside your apartment! Too cute!

-Carolyn